What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Number of French 75mm casings in the United States. Why?

DEADLINE222

Although I have my suspicions as to why, I still feel compelled to ask.

Why are there so many French, 75mm shell casings in the United States?

One reason is the US adopted the famous French 75 and also made shells for the French during WW1 .Also returning US soldiers brought some back after the war. And, probably there were some surplus ones scraped at the wars end.

The number of WWI French 75 casings in the U.S. is closely followed by 77mm German casings, and 37mm French rounds.

I think you had to have at least one of the three to get passage on the boat home.

Yeah, verily!!From one common ,little 37mm Hotchkiss, a 13 country group of these little pip squeeks has invaded my house hold which have provided many searches, many friends in other countries and have keep me out of bars and off the streets! And provided much historical and technical knowledge. Not bad for a little bit of brass and iron.

The number of WWI French 75 casings in the U.S. is closely followed by 77mm German casings, and 37mm French rounds.

I think you had to have at least one of the three to get passage on the boat home.

It is exactly the same here in the UK. It's hard to tell if there are more of the 75mm French or 77mm German cases around. The French (and some German) 37mm Hotchkiss cases are common too. I think the French and German stuff actually out-numbers the British WW1 cases. This makes sense as the fired British cases were still classed as crown property.