What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Numbered piece of shrapnel? Can anyone help identify it?

Peter Lorimer

Found in a field outside of Spalding, Lincolnshire. I am assuming that it dates to WWII, as it is what I always expected bomb shrapnel to look like.
However in one of those lucky breaks you get occasionally, it has a stamped serial number of some sort on the side which reads 117 III.

Shrapnel_01.jpg

Shrapnel_02.jpg
Stamp.jpg

Can anyone identify it? Is it a piece of an anti aircraft round or a practice shell of some kind? (I have no knowledge of ordnance whatsoever)

I would be absurdly grateful if anyone could give me some suggestions as to what it was.

Many thanks

Pete

Wow

Blimey, Thanks very much I didn't expect a response that quickly!

Now if I can further demonstrate my utter lack of knowledge in this area...

When you say artillery projectiles, does that include anti aircraft? I am just trying to work out why I would find lumps of British ordnance it in otherwise fairly rural field in England.

Thanks again though for the speedy identification and the info above, its much appreciated.

Pete

Yes projectiles do include anti aircraft but this is not an anti aircraft fuze,during ww2 many areas of what is now public land were used for training ,