What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd 40mm Bofors Projectile

ydnum303

L70 Bof. exptl 2.jpgL70 Bof. exptl 3.jpgL70 Bofors exptl 1.JPGL70 Bof. exptl 4.jpg
Hi all,

Had this 40mm/L70 Bofors shell a while. I have been told that the numbers stamped on the shell indicate an experimental plastic "Fromoplas" driving band. However, the band is in an odd place. It is on tight, and does not appear to have slipped down the body of the shell, but its position means that there is no room for a crimping groove below the band. There is, however, what appears to be a crimping groove above the band, but this would mean that the band was within the neck of the case!

Does anyone know anything about this experiment, or have a case that would fit, or even have a complete round?

Any information gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,
Roger.

Could it have been a manufacturing error? I am thinking that the projectile could have been incorrectly clamped into the band moulding machine.

Possible, I suppose. Would be nice to see a drawing, if one still exists, which would answer that question.

Roger.

I am pretty certain Red Queen crimp over the band. L70 in 1954 could it be a shell for the strange shortened L70 cases that exist cant recall their dates. Sorry Roger you need to do some more research.

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I have one of the "short" L70 rounds where the case covers the lower part of the driving band, and the internal diameter of the case mouth is 41.35mm. The diameter over the widest part of the plastic driving band on the subject projectile is 44.34mm, so somewhat larger. The "crimping groove" is not symmetrical, in that the rear "slope" is considerably shallower than the front slope.

If the case neck did go over the driving band, I think that the projectile would be very poorly supported in the case.

Roger.