What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil for Restoration

F

Fuzeman

I thought i would inform everyone of this brilliant oil called SILKPEN from Fuchs
I had a dug up German Armourers tool that had been in the ground for over 50 years ,and was completely seized up , i tried WD40 to no avail , then a friend told me about this oil ,i soaked the tool for about 4 to 6 hours and slowly but surely everything started to work . the tool was a German fuze discharger which has a rotating top and pins that short out the charging pins similar to our Crabtree , all is now working as it should .
picture of discharger attached clearly showing corrosion
Discharger_001.jpg

Sounds like good stuff, i will get hold of some of that. There are a few things that need the treatment. Well found.
Weasel.

nice tip Steve,i have one of those dischargers and it needs TLC with that sort of oil.

cheers

waff

Steve,ive tried to google this oil to get hold of some but with no luck?

Can you please tell me where i can procure some from?

best

waff

Ive just emailed a seller on ebay,hopefully i shall get some soon.

Ive plenty of seized items to sort out.

cheers

waff

Talking about oil and moving seized parts like screws etc especially parts like steel to aluminium, which i find the worst, has anyone used Kroll oil meant to be the best but haven't tried Silkpen either. Any other methods to help seized parts as well as the penetrating oil ie heating or even freezing?

Diesel oil !

The method I used to use is;-

Soak item in Diesel oil then remove and warm to about 80 Degrees "C" then dunk into the Diesel again and leave for a day or two, remove and get to work on it as it usually free's up all the parts other oils cannot !
Smelly stuff but gets the required results !