What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old 37mm

Hello fellow collectors, I've had this 37mm round for quite a while now but recently it started bothering me. Can anyone please help with the identification of the round to the right, copper jacketed one. The round has no markings, not even a headstamp. Any information regarding the round will be greatly appreciated.

1_zps33d7b734.jpg3_zps021ad024.jpg4_zps52f46c55.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a strange one .The case appears to be a little short for the great horde of 94mm cases . The brass cover of the projectile is not common. I think this may be a sample of a company made up dummy for the advertising boards that were used in the late 1800s. The brass covered projectile looks like an enlarged sporting projectile. Have you pulled the projectile from the case and examined the base? Is the material of the projectile lead, iron or steel? Would be nice to ID, surely is not a common item.

quite possibly, things like that the devils spawn, in moments of fiendish spite, cobble together in their dank cellars.

Is it definitely 37mm?
The crimping on the case looks like a 40mm Crayford.
Dave.

I don't see a driving band either, my guess is a fake. The only way to find out would be to see the bottom of the projectile.

The top looks to me like a salt cellar!!
Case shortened as the salt cellar didnt fit with the crimps in place?
with others on this pull the 'proj' & lets see the base

Thank you all for the answers. Another problem arises and that is how on earth do you pull a projectile, this thing won't budge.

Here is my two pennorth as they say,small hole at point of projo,salt cellar perhaps,corrosion round hole could be from salt,here is a suggestion,take one led (white)from a string of bulbs from a solar garden light and poke it through the primer hole,it should be small enough to fit and it will light up the inside enough for you to see the base of the projo and maybe why it will not come apart,
Cheers,
Don,