What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordnance coming from UK

jiipee76

I would like to ask,is it possible to get ordnance items with normal mail from UK to Finland?

I have two different sets of ordnance coming,been already few weeks on the way.

I tried to send once 2cm Flak rounds to UK,but they came back with paper: Security Screened,Illegal items for air transport.Prohibited by international air cargo regulations.Even DUMMY/TOY ordnance is prohibited.

You should NEVER EVER send ANY Ordnance via Air Mail - Only via Sea .... Therefore it will take much longer to reach you. Recently (the last six months) due to the Royal Wedding and soon to come the Olympics ever greater security measures are being employed to scan mail these days. Please note that although MOST items are still getting through, there is a greater chance of confiscation and if this happens no insurance on mail will pay out at all as is an excluded class. If you buy and sell from abroad you literally are in the hands of the gods. However there are several counties that the UK does not usually send to due to very restrictive customs or very poor postal services, these are Australia & New Zealand (very strict customs), Italy (very poor postal services) - Up until about six months ago it was fine to send between US & UK. It is still ok just about from US to UK but to the US is getting more difficult. I am sure other members will give you their opinions also but the above is mine to date. You are also very lucky to recieve your item back usually you just get a note stating what was in your message & that your item has now been destroyed. All the best. WF

Last edited by a moderator:
Finnish Postal Service always sends back items which they dont accept.Package comes back with Security screened paper,thats all.Screening is done by postal service,not customs.Normal air cargo uses normal passanger planes,thats why they dont accept any ordnance->This is written into INTERNATIONAL air cargo rules.It should be like that everywhere.

I have noticed already that postal service is only good for non ordnance items as there is no option to send as a land/sea mail from Finland.All packages go with airplanes.

Only way is use expensive courier firms.

Sea mail from the UK is, in my opinion, by sailing ship. The longest successful delivery to California has been 13 weeks and 3 days. I am waiting in vain, for a shipment which left the Uk the second week of Febuary. Weeping and wailing chorus in the background. It included 2 38mm Nordenfeldts and a French incendiary. I had been sereaching for the Nordenfeldts for 5-6 years. I can choke down the monetary loss(barely) but the thought of the Nordenfeldts being tossed ino the trash by a disappointed thief or the post or customs, I phantasise gruesome vengence. Lesson learned, never put all your eggs in one basket, separate parcels per item from now on. Also, trying to find a way for moving items to the continent, I have no problems from there. Also, things going well from the US to other countries except Canada.Well, back to petting the cats and weeping softly.

Today i received one ordnance item from UK.

Package had orange sticker on the top with text:
DO NOT FLY.
This item/bag contains goods which are not permitted to fly.
SEND BY SURFACE MAIL ONLY.