What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OZM-3 bounding mine , Russia

pzgr40

Premium Member
Cutaway model of a Russian OZM-3 bounding anti personel mine. Production started just after WW2. This mine is build up of a cast iron cylindrical body with a 75mm diameter and a length of 111 mm and a filleted square hole inside. The lower internal portion is chambered and threaded to recieve the flange for the explosive charge container, the gasket, the expulsion charge and a threaded lock up ring.

In top of the mine three holes are drilled;
-A central hole used to place or remove the detonator. A wooden stick is placed upon the detonator to fixate it in it’s lower position, on top of the pyrotechnic delay pellet magazine (brass).
-A hole to the right (in the picture) with an electric wire for remote detonating purposes.
-A hole on the left (in the picture) in which a MUV-2 pull fuze is placed. It has a black powder magazine below the firing cap that boosts the flame of the firing cap. An aluminium pipe leads the flame of the firing cap down into the tin cup in the base of the mine which is filled with powder and which serves as the expulsion charge, throwing the mine 1,5 to 2 mtrs up in the air before exploding.

Functioning of the mine:
In bounding mode mine is placed in a cilindrical hole in the ground. If a trip wire is deployed, these are connected to the MUV-2 fuze. The fuze is activated by removing the arming delay pin (upper pin with ring) after which a steel wire on the back of the firing pin starts cutting through a lead strip. This delays arming of the mine to avoid accidents. When the lead strip is cut, the firing pin has moved down appr. 8mm, leaving the fuze fully armed. If someone pull the tripwire, the butterfly pin is pulled from the fuze, the firing pin hits the firing cap, and the black powder magazine below the firing cap ignites. This flame travels down the aluminium tube, ending in the expulsion charge. The expulsion charge ignites, ripping open the cup, hurling the mine up in the air, at the same moment igniting the delay pellet below the main charge. This flame ignites the detonator, exploding the main charge of 75 grams TNT which is placed in a tin can.
The mine can also be used in the remote / command detonated mode. This is done by connecting an electric source to the two wires. By igniting the squib detonator placed in the expulsion charge, the mine is activated.
The lethal radius is stated at 10 meters. The safety radius of the mine is stated at 200 meters.

Length mine : 120 mm
Diameter : 75 mm
Weight : 3 kg
Weight explosive charge : 75 grams of TNT
Length mine with fuze : 200 mm
Diameter MUV-2 fuze : 12,2 mm
Activation force MUV-2 : 10 N (1 kg)

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• OZM-3 cutaway.JPG
    OZM-3 cutaway.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 40