What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P.E. No. 2 Half Stick Wrapper

Houndsworth

Premium Member
I made up some inert replica PE No. 2 for my WW2 British sabotage and special forces display a few years ago. I was just reading the period "Sabotage Pamphlet Mk II" and it says the 1/2 pound Plastic, H.E. cartridges were wrapped in waxed paper. I used brown paper and put wax on it, like others have done. But the 1/4 pound cartridge was supplied in "cellophane covered cartridges." I had made up some half sticks using the paper thinking that was logical but would this be incorrect during WW2? If cellophane, what would a modern equivalent be? Cellophane was a clear, cellulose-based film used for food packaging and cigar wrappers. Still is I guess. So should I use a non-stretchy clear film and make sure my fake PE is yellow?

Last edited:
i think the SOE striker boards are wrapped also in this Cellophane

Yes and cellophane was also used to contain the black powder ignition charge in the 1¾ lb. Mk.I & Mk.II Fire-Pots. I have never seen cellophane wrapped sticks of any kind.
Not that they did not exist but I haven´t seen them.

Last edited:
S-mine 44 propellant charges that resembled a clear plastic pen full of black powder was made of cellulose. Made it water proof, a problem they had with the early S-mines.

Could you use the clear cellophane they use to wrap flowers in, just a thought.
Cheers
Andy
Good idea. I wonder if the cellophane used in the 1940s for these military applications was that thickness? The flower-wrapping film I have used is pretty stiff.

Good idea. I wonder if the cellophane used in the 1940s for these military applications was that thickness? The flower-wrapping film I have used is pretty stiff.
The ones I have encountered were very thin and brittle. Maybe the brittle part was due to old age.