What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint and color code question on a couple of Soviet projectiles

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Basing my info on EOD documents, not perfect, but the best I have to go on. Two projectiles, a 130mm and a 122mm. Both have a typical Soviet ejection type base, with the off-set holes on the plate.
The 130mm appears to be an illumination, but it has two white bands rather than one, and the bands are above the bourrelet. Both counter to me information. The 122mm is painted entirely red, original paint. There is a slight remnant of the 122 from the painted markings, nothing else. The rotating band is also not typical, with light knurling at the top of the band. The only reference I have for the body to be entirely red is for the 82mm mortar as a propaganda projectile. My first thought was that it may be from a satellite country, but there appears to be some light stamps that may be Cyrillic.
Can anyone steer me straight on these two?

Attachments

• IMG_0315 (1).jpg
    IMG_0315 (1).jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 32
Red paint is official color for russian propaganda shells

Last edited:
Basing my info on EOD documents, not perfect, but the best I have to go on. Two projectiles, a 130mm and a 122mm. Both have a typical Soviet ejection type base, with the off-set holes on the plate.
The 130mm appears to be an illumination, but it has two white bands rather than one, and the bands are above the bourrelet. Both counter to me information. The 122mm is painted entirely red, original paint. There is a slight remnant of the 122 from the painted markings, nothing else. The rotating band is also not typical, with light knurling at the top of the band. The only reference I have for the body to be entirely red is for the 82mm mortar as a propaganda projectile. My first thought was that it may be from a satellite country, but there appears to be some light stamps that may be Cyrillic.
The 122 mm is a propaganda (leaflet) projectile. If the band on the 122 mm is copper alloy, it's a 3A1 (3А1) or 3A1D (3А1Д). If it's sintered iron-based, it's a 3A1Zh (3А1Ж) or a 3A1ZhD (3А1ЖД).

The 130 mm may be a 3S2 (3С2). If you rotate it around 180 degrees the projectile designation and other markings should be on the opposite side. The designation will be truncated to just S2 (С2) if it is a 3S2.

Double checking the image shows the marking 130-58, which suggests this is actually for the naval SM-2-1 (СМ-2-1) 130 mm 58-caibre gun.

The links below list a few of the projectiles for the SM-2-1 gun, though I have a few more details locally.

Again, rotating the 130 mm projectile to show its filling production markings (on the ogive area) and truncated designation (on cylindrical body area), should show the model. Well as long as the markings are still there. Even if the stencilled markings are missing, many markings are also embossed onto the body of the projectile. Like those visible on the forward driving band.

If the 130 mm projectile is naval, they generally have a screw-in base, but not always.

As to what it is... it may be a practice projectile, which would emulate the OF-42 high explosive and similar projectiles. I presume this would have the truncated naval designation of PS-42, or something similar.

An image of some 130 mm UPS-44 practice rounds (for other 130 mm naval guns), and their PS-44 practice projectiles is below. These show the double white band around the nose as seen on your projectile.

ak-130.4996.jpg

Eggburt1969, practice or drill with these 2 white bands ?
Other pictures from the internet :

a.jpgb.jpg

Eggburt1969, practice or drill with these 2 white bands ?
As there's a propellant charge (see case markings), it would be a practice and not a dummy (drill or loading) round. As far as I can tell the naval PS-xx series are practice projectiles, which have an inert filling and dummy fuze. The PS code is short for the Russian words for practice projectile.

First thing I checked. Unusual, but no traces of markings on the other side.

122mm propaganda.
Herewith one with same knurling on rotating band with marking A1Zh

Capture d'écran 2024-03-03 164858.png

122mm propaganda.
Herewith one with same knurling on rotating band with marking A1Zh

View attachment 194493
Yes a 3A1Zh (3А1Ж), the sintered iron driving band version of the 3A1 (3А1).

You can see some 3A1ZhD (3А1ЖД) and and likely the 3A1D (3А1Д) copper alloy driving band versions at the link below.

There's the possibly that some 3A1 and 3A1Zh are there too, but only the 3A1ZhD markings and a distinctive copper alloy driving band can be seen. Without seeing the markings you can't tell if the copper alloy driving band versions are 3A1 or 3A1D, or if 3A1Zh are present too. Well there are ways to tell, but I can't be arsed to scale the video frame grabs.