What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint Markings on Mills Grenade No. 36 M Mk.1

staples57

BOCN Supporter
Asking the Experts...

Does anyone have information about the various paint markings on the No. 36 M Mk.1 Mills Grenade?

Specifically...
A row of red X's around the circumference of the grenade above a green band also around the circumference of the grenade.

The image attached to this post is a resin replica of the grenade in question.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Unknown Markings.jpg
    Unknown Markings.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 54
Hi.
Any red markings at the top of the gren mean it is a live High Explosive. Red crosses meant it was specially sealed and waterproofed for tropical climates. Red crosses and Dashes meant it had a 1 year shelf live when it arrived at a hot climate
Coloured bands around the middle indicated what type of explosive was in side. Green indicated Baratol, TNT, Trotyl or Amatol. early grens had a pink band which denoted Ammonal or Alumatol.
cheers, paul.

Paul, thanks for the info.
I'm still on the hunt for an inert Mills grenade, however, I though that the replica was a decent deal at $25 CDN.

Cheers,
Brad

Hi Brad,
there's plenty of Mills grens on various websites and auction houses for sale but the problem for you is the strictness of your postal service not allowing them through, especially if sent from the UK. Try Googling for some in Canada and see what comes up.

Andy

Nice site Paul,
congrats on the good news by the way.
I wish there were more training Mills like the ones on the site here in the UK, those are quite rare.

Andy