What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PAK 36 HE Projectile?

Vasco Da Gama

The pictured projectile turned up in a very tired 37x249R PAK 36 case. I have not seen this type of projectile before and surmise it may be a later model HE round. It is pictured against the standard early war HE projectile which is 95mm long and has a wide thread for the base tracer. The unpainted projectile is more streamlined and 106mm long with the empty explosive cavity approximately 85mm deep. The crimping groove fits well with other PAK cases but I could be looking at a Flak projectile stuffed into the wrong case, glad to have your views.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 38
Hi Vasco,
I assume the longer projectile is the 3,7cm SprGr.40 as opposed to the earlier and more commonly found SprGr.18 above it.
The drawings tend to back the dimensions up you've measured.

3,7cm datenblatter.JPGScan0019.jpg
Rich

Thanks Richard, the documentation is excellent a positive identification, many thanks. Until now I thought there was only one pattern of HE projectile, you live and learn!