What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parker-Hale and Cooey .55/.22 conveyors

christhurston

Premium Member
Hello All,
I've recently come across references to an item of sub-calibre
training equipment for the Boys .55 ATR called a conveyor.It seems these
were designed by the Parker-Hale Company,but produced in the UK by the
Ministry of Supply.
They resemble a full size .55 cartridge,but they are bored to take a.22 calibre round and provide low cost training ammunition usable on any
normal firing range.I imagine that they would have been supplied in a small
kit containing the conveyor itself,a case removal tool and the firing plug
that was inserted behind the .22 round.
A considerable number were made in Canada by the Cooey Machine and Arms Company so there would have been quite a lot of them around at one time.Has anyone come across such an item,or perhaps even the complete kit? Although designed as just a low cost training aid,I do wonder if such a thing might be considered a potential firearm in it's own right,which might explain their apparent scarcity.

.22 training

I believe Parker Hale also made 2pr ATK rounds with .22 barrels in them for cheap training dont know it these would be 'firearms' as in component parts of a firearm.

Would a 'Morris tube' or a 'Pedersen device' constitute component parts of a firearm. I don't have either but seem to remember using a Morris fitted rifle during training using .22 ammunition in a .303 rifle.
Regards,
navyman.

Conveyors etc.

I am quite sure in my own mind that a Pederson device would be a Section 5 firearm, and that a Morris tube is a Section 1 component part, as it is a rifled, chambered barrel.

The status of a conveyor is less clear, although in the case of the Boys type it could be argued that it is a Section 5 firearm. It is something that we are trying to clatrify at the moment.

The Boys conveyor was adopted after it was found that the proposed .303 training round was too powerful.

Attached are pictures of the .55/.303 and the .22 conveyor (canadian model).

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• 55-303.jpg
    55-303.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 22
  • sb calibre 22.jpg
    sb calibre 22.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 33
My interest in all of these devices looks as if it might prove to be rather
short lived.I did rather suspect that anything with a rifled bore,or indeed
smooth bore capable in any way of discharging a bullet might well be prohibited if it had ever been associated with any kind of firearm.I might have to content myself with a few inert rounds that were used in such things,there were quite a few different ones,I believe.
Clive,I didn't have any joy with the email address you gave,is it meant to be used via PM ?

2-Pdr/.22 "Adapter"

I was offered one of these a couple of months ago, that was in good condition. It was similar to a 2-pdr Drill round, in that it had a wooden body and a brass nose cap, but it had a rifled .22 barrel running up the centre. The barrel was chambered for the .22 rim-fire Long Rifle round, and had a a small steel plug with an offset "firing pin" that went into the chamber after the cartridge had been inserted in order to fire it.
However, the head of the 2-pdr was of steel, rather than brass, and just had the stamps "2-PDR/.22" " at 12o'c, and "PARKER HALE" at 6o'c. The steel case-head was held on the wooden body with a steel pin, but unfortunately the person doing the work in the factory had drilled the hole for the pin all the way into the chamber for the .22 round.
I was intending to get it put on my FAC as a ".22 barrel", but a gun dealer I know told me that because of the hole drilled into the chamber it was now out of proof, and it would be an offence for the owner to sell or transfer it, and because it was less than 600mm long, it was also S.5!! So regretfully I had to decline the offer.
I seem to remember some years ago seeing an similar adapter, but with a .303" calibre barrel, but cannot remember whether this was also a 2-pdr, or whether it was a 3 or 6-pdr. Has anyone else come across one in this (.303") calibre?

section 5 adaptors

Info for those not understanding what section refers to, in Great Britain the latest Firearms Act (laws) define guns etc into different classes and sections of these acts refer to the definition and controls on these guns or parts thereof. Section 5 things are basicly prohibited to all but a few who have particular reason to have them.
Would it be possible for a collector to get an adaptor with .22 barrel on a firearms certificate even if its Sect.5 as realisticaly there is little chance of it being used as a gun? or are they so rare its not worth thinking about? 2pr

Info for those not understanding what section refers to, in Great Britain the latest Firearms Act (laws) define guns etc into different classes and sections of these acts refer to the definition and controls on these guns or parts thereof. Section 5 things are basicly prohibited to all but a few who have particular reason to have them.
Would it be possible for a collector to get an adaptor with .22 barrel on a firearms certificate even if its Sect.5 as realisticaly there is little chance of it being used as a gun? or are they so rare its not worth thinking about? 2pr

Section 5 has been in the Firearms Act from the beginning, it is only that pistols have been included in the latest version of the Act.

I think it would be possible to get a Section 5 variation for a .22 adaptor, but it would probably depend on your local firearms officer whether he would be prepared to put it forward.

Regards
TonyE

section 5 adaptors

Just been reading the posts on de act firearms and wonder if it would be possible to de act an adaptor? but I see a problem in that if you got it and took it to a registered section 5 dealer to work on would they have to record where it came from and if so you'd be in trouble and would the cost render it a waste of money? TonyE you say you are trying to clarify at the moment, can you explain? Thanks
2pr