What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patton museum

Slick

During an online search for info on the 106mm recoiless rifle round, it led me to the Ontos that is displayed at the museum. Having toured there in the past, I have an above average interest in that facility. A couple of years ago, I'd read/heard that the museum was being moved and assorted items would be "disseminated" throughout the Army's bases.

Does anyone have any info on the current status, other than what's listed on their home page at: http://www.generalpatton.org/index.asp

My first visit included a peek into some long storage sheds just down the road from the "old" museum. They were full, FULL of armor, tracked vehicles, trucks, etc. Looked like at least one of everything. And there were two other sheds just like it.
From the looks of things, they're trying to catch up to the level of the Bovington Tank Museum, UK, and I wish them all the success they can muster.

Rick

Rick,

First off, I have a 1960's manual on the 106 Recoiless Rifle. If you need any help on the munitions, just ask.

Secondly,

Their was a great big museum in nearby Youngstown that featured just about everything to do with WWII. The owner died just about 5 - 10 years ago and his widow just couldn't keep up with the bills neccessary to keep the place opened to the public.

She then sold it to Knight's Armament in Florida whereby he took it all apart and shipped it to his location for a display. From which I have heard a few years back, he will not allow it to be opened to the public. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Could this be true with the Patten Museum?

The items at the Patton museum items belong to the DOD Museum system same as the items stored in the old LST buildings. The armor stored there is not going to any sort of public collection. There is no word or talk of the museum closing.

I read the post then checked out the site and it states...
The General George Patton Museum Evolves. They are currently adding new displays.

The armor school has move to Ft. Benning, they indeed moved most of the armor from the patton museum at ft. knox to Georgia. The Patton museum is still up and running though, but the tanks are gone. The museum at Benning is three times the size of the Patton museum and they wanted to house the tanks indoors.

That is a sad thing then the calmer winters will be better for the tanks. The M3 Grant was looking a little beat up from the elements when I was there in 2008.

I think the last time I was there was around 2008 as well, whenever I went down to the Knob Creek machine gun shoot I always took a couple of hours out of the day for the museum. All the Patton stuff is still there from my understanding, along with a few pieces of armor.