What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PFF Green Parachute Flares

Luft45

Hello All,

I am not sure if this is the right catagory, but I thought this fitted the best.

Does anyone have any information on Royal Air Force Pathfinder green parachute flares?

I am looking into this to help to make an accurate artwork for a PFF Pilot veteran.

My questions are

1. Are they dropped singuarly or out of a container?

2. Is there a time fuse on the flare? How long does it take from leaving the aircraft or container till it starts to burn?

3. Does the parachute open automaticly?

4. How many are dropped in one run?

5. When a target is 'Marked', how many PFF planes drop flares?

Many thanks in advance.
God bless from
Russell Brown

Here is the type of flare.

Also does anyone know the size of the flare?

God bless from
Russell Brown

Attachments

• Skymarker flare.jpg
    Skymarker flare.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 52
Hi Russell,

This is a very complex topic. Your questions cannot be answered flatly. For better answers I should know in which squadron flew the veteran. I think with a Lancaster within a squadron in No. 8 Group. The flares with parachute or also called "Skymarker" used with the skymarking method "Wanganui". There was these in white (for target illuminating) and also in red or green and in combination with coloured stars (for target marking).
1) These were dropped single, as bundle or in Cluster Projectiles C.P.
2+3) Nose fuzes with different delays from short up to 70 secs. The chutes open automaticly.
4) This was dependent on many factors. Type and size of the target, weather, method of marking etc.
5) The a/c within the squadrons in the P.F.F. have much different tasks. Illuminator, marker, supporter etc. See also 4)
It cannot be answered flatly. It was different from mission to mission.The No. 8 Group (P.F.F.) flew normally with 6 squadrons with 16 a/c each. But I only speak about the No. 8 Group.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mossie

To the pics from Harry,

from left to right:

- C.P. No. 2 Mk. I four 4.5" flares
- same as above opened
- C.P. No. 1 Mk. I seven 4.5" reconnaissance flares
- fuze adapters and igniters of C.P. No. 1 Mk. I
- Nose Fuze No. 848

Regards,
Mossie

Mossie meinst du Russell kann nicht selber lesen ?

Ich bitte Eure Majestt vielmals um Entschuldigung. Wie konnte ich mir nur erdreisten hier etwas zu schreiben. Es wird nicht wieder vorkommen. Wie konnte ich nur denken, es sei hier anderes wie in anderen Foren.