What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PIAT Mk

StielGr

I remember from other posts that there were different types of PIAT projectiles but does anyone know what the difference is in the Mk I, II, and III for the HE type.

My 2nd question is about the cartridge.
Was the projectile loaded with the cartridge at the factory or in the field and could it be removed?

Many thanks
PC

Attachments

• IMG_0876.jpg
    IMG_0876.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 84
Since it was inserted (by manufacturer I believe) it should be possible to remove, but... I failed to do this with my PIAT projectile and had to dril hole from the side to remove propellant (forbiden by Polish low). Mayby some special tool could be helpful, I think the designer took into consideration possibility of cartridge changing.

Hi quite a long reply but here it is.....

extracted from an old technical ammunition letter dated Feb 1950, so may be a little in depth but good for markings etc.

All Mark I bombs were filled Nobels 808. The lot numbers run from 1 - 1844.

All Mark IA bombs were filled Nobels 808. The lot numbers run from 1845 to 2000 and from 1A to 853A.

Some Mark 2 bombs were filled Nobels 808 and some RDX/TNT. The lot numbers commence at 1 for each type of filling. it is therefore necessary, in order to identify fully any lot of Mark 2 bombs, to quote the mark, lot number, filler and date of filling and the nature of filling.

Mark 3 bombs from lots 1 - 536 and from lot 542 onwards have been filled Nobels 808. Lots 539 to 541 were filled RDX/TNT, but thereafter lotting for this filling was recommenced at Lot 1. the remarks on identification applicable to marks 2 bombs are also applicable to Mark 3 bombs.

All Marks 4 bombs are filled RDX/TNT

also the marks differed only slightly

Mark 1 the original bombit had a bayonet type thimble (fuze cover)

Mark 1 A This differed from the Mark I in having a strengthened flange on the central tube.

Mark 2 Similar to Mark 1 A but has a preformed washer and brass washer under the union ring

Mark 3 Differs principally from Mark 2 in having a rolled thread fuze holder and thimble

Mark 4 Differs from the Mark 3 in having a mild steel disc in the base of the body hind and in the tail tube with a view to reducing the danger from back flying fragments. the disc in the tail tube is inserted before the cartridge.

Also

Bombs filled Nobels 808 were originally marked with a broad green strip egded above and below with yellow and having a narrow black strip in the centre on which "808" was stencilled in white. this was later amended to a green band edged above and below with yellow and "808" stencilled in black.

Bombs filled RDX/TNT have a blue band edged above and below with yellow and "RDX/TNT 5" stencilled in black on the blue band. these bands appear below the union ring.

I hope that this helps if you need more......

Sorry forgaot to mention yours looks like a Mark 3 nobels 808 if you didn't already know.

Nice Bomb though.

just been able to enlarge the photos you supplied, don't i feel a bit stupid seeoing the mk3 and the 808.

hot damn!

Thank you for all the help. It is much appreciated.

@pkm594
The information that you have provided is fantastic and I am very grateful that you took so much time to explain it in such detail....many thanks.

The projectile I have has good stencil markings and is dated 1/44.

Unfortunately I am missing the threaded cap to hold the fuse.

PC

Attachments

• IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 41