What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PIAT rounds...

Hi Rafail, They do look great.. Any of them for sale??? I have recently bought a PIAT and need a projectile!!!!!
Cheers
Geoff

PIAT Projectiles - also rans

PIATwp.jpg Drill, Practice and HE Bombs were the standard issue ammunition for the PIAT, but, given the contraption came out of Winston Churchill's Toyshop you can imagine that numerous projectiles were experimented with. This is a Smoke (WP) version of the PIAT projectile. There were also smoke projectiles built on 2-inch Mortar bodies. No 68 grenades on PIAT tails have been found and a HESH projectile was designed by Millis Jefferis at MD1.

This is the example I have which I think is the standard HE but unfortunately I am missing the screw cap for the fuse.

PC

Attachments

• IMG_0876.jpg
    IMG_0876.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 56
Interesting that yours is dated 1/44 and marked 808. TNT produced better penetration but due to shortages they were forced to use Nobles 808 (nitroglycerine based if I recall correctly). I would have thought by that point in the war they were using TNT.
I wonder what date they cut over to TNT???

All UK Mk I bombs were filled 808 and the lot numbers ran from 1 to 1844. All Mk IA bombs were filled 808 and the lot numbers ran from 1845 to 2000 and from 1-A to 853-A. Some Mark II bombs were filled 808 with lot numbers starting at 1 and some Mk II bombs were filled RDX/TNT lot numbers also starting at 1. Mark 3 (Change to Arabic numerals) bombs from lots 1 to 538 were filled 808. Lots 539 to 541 were filled RDX/TNT. Lots 542 onwards were filled 808. Mark 3 bombs filled RDX/TNT after Lot 541 had lot numbers starting at 1. Mark 4 Bombs were filled RDX/TNT.

RDX/TNT was 50/50 [also known as TNT 3]

Does not account for Canadian production etc., just British.

This anorak information (extracted from ammunition pamphlet MR/1 June 1945 on the PIAT) doesn't actually answer the date question but one or two you will be sad enough, like me, to find the detail interesting.

I should have said perhaps that the Mk I Bomb was designed at MD1, Whitchurch with 808 as the design filling.

Last edited:
PIAT Exp Smk 2in Em.jpgPIAT Exp Smk 2in Burst.jpg

PIAT Smoke projectiles, experimental based on 2-inch Mortar smoke bodies.