What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

picked up 2 cases today .....anyone help with info?

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Hi, today I found two cases which struck me as being 'different' and so I bought them. Now forgive me its not my field by any stretch of the imagination so you will have to bear with me. A little search on bocn and elsewhere has helped me to identify them to some degree but if anyone can add more information it would be appreciated.

Unfortunately I cannot upload pics from my pc at present but here is what I have found out.

The first case is a 57mm x 224 and is very similar to the one posted by SG500 in the following post. The main difference is that the one I have has no markings whatsoever. The primer arrangement etc is identical to the one in the photo. Were these known to be produced without markings? (It doesnt look as though it has been ground down, and the markings on the one in the photo look to be deeply impressed)
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/70501-57-x-222-query?highlight=57mm+case

The second case is a 47mm x 376 Imperial Russian (3pdr) identified from John Carlins website (see below). The markings are similar but not identical. (mine says No15, for example) I notice also that there are two holes in the base, I thought these were later additions but it appears not to be the case, what were these for? (please excuse my ignorance)
http://www.jcmilitaria.com/display_image.asp?ID=6751

Any help much appreciated.

regards Kev

I believe that some time back we agreed that photos had to be posted for an identification.

I believe that some time back we agreed that photos had to be posted for an identification.

Yes, I realise the frustration in not having images, but I tried to explain I am unable at present to upload images from the pc I am using. I did take time to look around the site and off site to try to ID them myself, which I am confident I have done and have posted links to the ones that come close to the ones I have. The Russian one I am confident in the ID, the other one as it has no markings I cannot be sure. There appears to be a variation in length measurements of these cases from around 122 to 125mm, mine appears to be 124mm. One thing that struck me was that tha primer arrangement is identical to that of the one in SG500's post and thought that may help to condense the possibilities. I guess I was just curious as to wether these were produced with no markings, as it seems strange to have nothing.
I can only apologise for not being able to upload photos, I know its frustrating.
I was just curious, knowing nothing about these things

regards Kev

Last edited: