What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

please help identify 101.6 x 609.6mm R shell casing

phoenix2525

I found and need help identifying a shell casing, possibly artillery. I'm curious of its age and what fired it. In my research I converted it to mm. 4 3/8" opening = 101.6mm x 24" tall = 609.6mm. Rimmed. 101.6 x 609.6mm R. It is a fixed ammunition due to the post coming up inside casing from the primer. The brass primer has identifications on top of, IGN ELEC and on bottom, M63.
I am interested in identifying my find any help would be great. I have been able to find nothing.

Its pretty rusted. These are about the best I can come up with for pics. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• IMAG0066.jpg
    IMAG0066.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMAG0069.jpg
    IMAG0069.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMAG0071.jpg
    IMAG0071.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 42
How long is the primer tube that extends into the case? There are 3 models of 105mm tank gun cases, and the easiest way to tell them apart is by the primer. If the primer is around 10 inches long the case is an M148A1B1, used in the 105mm tank gun to fire HEAT and APFSDS-T projectiles. If it is longer the case is an M115A1B1 105mm tank gun case used to fire APDS-T and TPDS-T projectiles. By the photo it looks like the longer one, but hard to tell from here.

Last edited:
The post is 12" long.
I have been searching the primer markings, M63. Thinking this might help, but I seem to only find it as a 37MM high explosive round. Does the primer info not help with identification?
The 105MM tank gun or cannon has been around a long while, is there a way to narrow down age or tank?

As I said, the primer length and the fact that your primer has a screw in plug at the top designates it as the M115A1B1 case. That case was only used for two projectiles, the APDS-T and TPDS-T. The primer numbers could be helpful for ID, but the length and plug are more important. Most ammo info sources don't list primer number.

As far as age goes, it was used from early Vietnam (1960s) to present. The first ones were brass, so your case is a little later.