What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help identify this projectile.

Bob60

I am new to this board so please excuse me if the answer to this question should be obvious to all but a novice. I am a novice.

Story is that this came back from France after the Great War.

It looks like it is too big for a 105.

What is it? Where do I get the correct inert fuse?

The wooden ruler is in inches and the plastic one in cm.

IMG_6399.jpg

IMG_6410.jpg

IMG_6412.jpg

Your bullet is a 4.7 inch Gun Model of 1906 or Howitzer Model of 1913 shrapnel projectile of WWI vintage. It is very characteristic of shape and the groove at the base of the projectile and the fuzewell details are the key identifiers. I have attached some photos of a sectioned projectile like yours next to a slightly different variation. Most of the 4.7 inch U.S. projectiles (there are 4 types, Gas, Nose fuzed HE, Base fuzed AP-HE, and shrapnel) have bases with just two crimping grooves like the black projectile. But for some reason there is a variation of the shrapnel that has the big groove like yours. I have the sectioned example and a fired one like yours.

As you can see in the sectioned projo, these are filled with lead balls for shrapnel, that sit on top of more than a pound of black powder and a pusher plate. A filled projectile weights close to 50 Lbs.

The fuze used in these is the Model of 1914-15. These are fired from a straight brass case. Complete rounds look like ovrsized 105 Howitzer rounds. By the numbers, the gun was invented and began use before the fuze that is shown was developed. This is one of the few U.S. designed artillery pieces that was used in WWI. We used a lot of French ordnance in WWI due to lack of preparation on America's part.

Lastly, no need to appologize. You did everything right: You posted good in-focus photos with measurements.

Attachments

• Fuze closeup.jpg
    Fuze closeup.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Projo profiles.jpg
    Projo profiles.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Sectioned projo.jpg
    Sectioned projo.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Many thanks for the information.

Now where do I get a fuze? My wife, while giving me that "evil eye," is asking what said fuze should cost?

Wow! Superb info. Curious if the balls were in some type of matrix or if that is just corrosion noted in the sectioned example.

Rick

Bob60,

You can advertise here on BOCN that you are looking for a fuze. Go ahead and use my photo in your quest. You could also try another of our members (MrFuze). He might have one. Cost is as with anything collectable (Whatever the market will bear)

@Rick The lead balls are suspended in a resin matrix. It was poured in, and when it dries, it is a brittle crystaline sparkly material. For many years cased shot cavities were filled with melted sulphur. You can find civil war projos like that.

Hello John,

Beautiful 4.7-inch shrapnel projectiles, it's getting tough to find an unfired specimen these days.

Randall

Hey Randall,

Thanks! It's getting tough to find anything these days that isn't $500.00+ on gunbroker.

Went on Google books and downloaded the free 4.7" handbook. The fuze that they specify there is the M1907M for the Shrapnel round, so if you can't find a M1914/15, that should do. Cheers, Bruce.