What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

please help me to ID japanese markings

fert

Premium Member
Hi,
I recently found this couple of japanese cases, a 75mm type 41 and 150mm type 96.
what I'm looking for is to ID the markings, as for the 75mm case I never seen this kind of marking, could it be from the meiji era?
the 150mm is the first I see, but I'm not familiar with japanese cases, in Italy they are hard to find!!! I cannot recognize the markings on the primer...., it's normal the absence of markings in this case?
thanks in advance

best regards

Attachments

• 75mm meiji 41 rid.jpg
    75mm meiji 41 rid.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 48
  • fondello rid.jpg
    fondello rid.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 44
  • cannello rid.jpg
    cannello rid.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 46
Not quite the normal find. Not sure on the first case, could it be Chinese? Olafo would be the person to ask as he is familiar with both Chinese cases and Japanese pre Showa cases. The date on the first case looks to be the 9th month of the 17th year depending on what era. The second case is definitely Japanese as the primer has the crossed cannons of the Osaka Army Arsenal. It doesn't conform with Showa era markings.

Sorry I can't be of much help.

Hi Bouganville,
many thanks for your interest.
About the 75mm, the era symbol and the month-year are write in the opposite way, did the japan write from right to left?

maybe the chinese uses to mark the case as japan?

thanks in advance
best regards.

Hi fert,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. The Japanese army would write the date as 17.9 if using western numerals. The army would only use this form of dating when stenciling filling dates on the side of their munitions.The Japanese navy would write it as a fraction with the month above the year. This can be seen stamped on the base of their artillery cases etc. The letter S would be to the left of the fraction to indicate that the era was Showa.

Cheers,
Robert

About the 75mm, the era symbol and the month-year are write in the opposite way, did the japan write from right to left?

Hi Fert,
Japanese writing can be read from left to right, right to left, or top to bottom but never bottom to top! Only the sense can indicate in which direction to read it.

According to one reference I have "17.9" implies "Showa 17.9" meaning September, 1942.

In addition the second case IMHO could also be "Showa" as they did just use the first kanji character to indicate "Showa" rather than 2 x kanji characters. This would imply Showa 10+ something... the second numeral is unclear - could be an eight or a nine? (ie Showa 18 or Showa 19) - but then again the markings on the second case looks a little dodgy.

Cheers
Drew

Hi,
BOUGANVILLE, Dronic69 thanks for reply!
I recived some information, seems that the case is really chinese, People Republic year 17 month 9, wich is september 1928. the shield under this marking is the Kwantung arsenal (Mukden or Hoten under japanese occupation)
best regards