What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help with info about type of thread on yugoslavian RB-100

goran_croatia

My friend gave my one RB-100 inert grenade,made in croatia during the war,it is completly inert and with removed capsule and detonator.But it's a bit rusty.So I would like to restorate it and paint it.Also I would like to make a replica of it's impact fuze because I have just the body of one other croatian grenade which was also using the same type of fuze like on RB-100.That other grenade was taken from the factory,so it hasn't been finished and it doesn't have thread made on the neck of the body for screwing the fuze.I am planning to make the thread for screwing the replica fuze from RB-100 on that other grenade.

I planned to unscrew the aluminium fuze from my inert RB-100,and make the same replica,from the same material(aluminium),and to screw it on the other model which is now without the fuze.
BUT THERE IS A PROBLEM:
This RB-100 grenade is a bit rusty and probably the rust get into the thread between the body of the grenade and the fuze,and I can't unscrew the fuze.I know that is completly inert and empty,so there is no danger.
If any of you have(I saw that member blu97 has on the topic about yugoslavian grenades)this grenade in his collection,please can you give me the information is the thread for screwing the fuze on the grenade body NORMAL TYPE(clockwise) or REVERSE TYPE OF THE THREAD(counter clockwise)???

I ask this because I want to know in which direction I have to unscrew the RB-100 fuze from the body:tinysmile_classes_t

Please help!!

Right Hand thread !

Hi Goran being as the grenade is not launched from a rifled device there would be no point in making it with a "non standard" thread-Left hand would be a "Non standard" thread !
So you can safely assume thats its thread is a normal Right Hand thread.
As for size, you need a detailed drawing of the thread or Fuze from the manufacturer or a person who has one to measure.
So long as you are 100% sure there is NOTHING EXPLOSIVE inside then the fuze will unscrew in the normal manner and may be eased by soaking the thread in Diesel oil for a day or two before trying to unscrew it.
Someone here may well come up with a detailed drawing of the threads.

Best of luck

Chris I asked that because this grenade has plastic cap with the normal thread(I don't need info about that thread for plastic cap on the fuze),that cap is securing the firing pin during transportation of the grenade(the fuze is impact type),so it would be logical to assume that other thread,which screws fuze to the grenade,is reverse type....BUT some other croatian grenades with other types of impact fuzes have both threads of normal type(screwed clockwise)and some don't....so there's no rule.if I would be squeezing the fuze with the pliers,trying to unscrew it in the opposite way(assuming that thread is normal or revers),I will just terrible damage it because it's made of aluminium and aluminium is very softly metal.

SO IF ANY OF YOU HAS IT IN HIS COLLECTION PLEASE CHECK THE THREAD TYPE AND WRITE ME THE ANSWER:tinysmile_shy_t:

this is RB-100:

LH or RH threads ?

Thanks for the explanation Goran, I now see your problem.

Surely if try very gently with a back and forth movement it will eventually move ?
Good luck with it and keep trying here as someone will know the information you seek.

Hi Goran,

I own the cup-discharger-version and also the handthrwon version. Both fuzes have a standart-thread (no left-handed thread).
By the way: the fuzes for both variation are similar from the working-principle, but the cup-launched-version has a more solid pin which couldnt be handactivated.
What Ive further realized is: some specimen dont have any marking on the grenade-body, others carry on one side (only), casted onto the grenade-body the following marking "MIV 9209", in raised letters.

Note: all mentioned items are 100% INERT (FFE), and had been purchased already like this.

Best regards,

Ralf