What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help with these two 4 inch 35 pound cut aways.

Andy Naude

Got these two 4 inch 35 pound projectiles which have been sectioned. I would like to clean the inside out and replace with a more realistic filling. More representative of what it would have looked like.

The first is what I think is a practice shell. This one is marked "HE SUB".

Marked:

4 " 35 LB FA. 5 B

HE SUB

ST 5.67

Does this mean that is was an inert substitution or is it just a lower explosive charge ?

What color would the "HE SUB" filling have been?

IMG_6057.JPGIMG_6056.JPGIMG_6058.JPG

The second shell is marked "RDX / TNT 1".

Marked:

4 " 35 LB F.A Mk N4

RDX / TNT 1

ST 5.67

What color is "RDX / TNT 1 "

IMG_6059.JPGIMG_6060.JPGIMG_6061.JPG

Any other comments are most welcome.

Hi Andy,

In the past I have had 2 shells filled with HE Sub; one a 4.5" Naval, the other a 105mm FD. Both fillings were a darkish pink-to-red clay-like substance. Both were very hard, and packed in tight, needing a hammer & chisel (or a drill) to make any impression on it at all!

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Roger.

It might be worth investigating whether Simonstown (ST) had anything to do with making Inert Instructional ammunition in the late 60s, perhaps by seeing what museums have in their collections.

PS I should have said that ST is a mark used by the Naval Station, Simonstown.

Last edited: