What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plunger Bomb I.D. Help

sfsnafu

Any idea what this is? It's about 13 inches long. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• bomb 004.jpg
    bomb 004.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 67
  • bomb 003.jpg
    bomb 003.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 51
  • bomb 002.jpg
    bomb 002.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 54
  • bomb 001.jpg
    bomb 001.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited by a moderator:
Plunger bomb

This looks like an artillery shell that has been converted into a bomb. The shell looks like an adapted French 75mm HE projectile. The French did use these shells in the bomb and mortar roll suitably converted during the first war. If used as a mortar the driving band would have been lathed flat. If I'm correct its an interesting and rare item.

BD

now that you mention it

I'd never have guessed that in a million years! But when you look at it thinking artillery shell conversion, it sure looks like that's what it is. I guess that would be pretty rare as you suggest Burney...Dano

Thanks for the information. What would this bomb be used for? Air dropped? There is a paper tube type fuse in the bottom fin section. It looks like the fuse was activated by striking the bottom.