What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

POSSIBLE Experimental XM578 152MM APFSDS-T Sub-Projectile?

apfsds

Premium Member
I just added an unusual APFSDS-T Sub-projectile to my collection that I believe may belong to the experimental XM578 or XM579 152mm APFSDS-T projectile designed for the Sheridan Tank? I found one photo of a sectioned XM579E3 projectile and this dart looks "almost" identical" with the exception of a very small difference in the fin profile. Guessing it may be one variant in the development of this round? It appears to be made from one solid piece of metal with the 4 fin blades each welded to the body vs a fin assembly that is screwed to its base like most modern designs. The welds look hand done by an expert but not to the quality of a machine weld? The photo of the complete sectioned XM579E3 shows the same type of welds. If anyone has any ideas or better photos or info on the XM578 I'd be super grateful. Also, if you think it may belong to another projectile, that info would be appreciated as well.

Jason

152mmAPDSTSheridanTank_zps5879589b.jpgIMG_9494.jpgIMG_9495.jpgIMG_9496.jpgIMG_9497.jpgIMG_9498.jpgIMG_9499.jpgpix566949633.jpgpix965644308.jpg

I know of another in another collectors collection. Its almost identical (probably is, its been months since I saw it) but the only difference for sure is the fins on his where painted white. Also not sure if it had that little indent near the fins like in picture #2.

That is awesome! If you ever come across a photo of it, I'd love to see it.

Jason

Neat addition to the collection. Also, I'd like to compliment you on the clarity of your photos. Mad skilz.

Awesome!

My guess is that XM579E3 designation is mistype and both specimen are XM578. And no chances to fire it from Sheridan - it was developed for longer, higher pressure 152 mm XM150 gun for MBT70 (and XM803). Here is older thread on it and links to 2 patents connected to this programme --> click.

Could you make few pictures of your projectile next to XM735?

P.S. One more projectile, see here --> click. Unforntunately, thread was not continuated and no other photos appeared.

Last edited:
Jason, thank you for that pictures.

On my side, digged something from DTIC (specificaly, ADA058596). XM579 clearly was not a mistype. Diameter of both XM578 and XM579 was said to be 1.39 inch (35,3 mm). Fins of former one were of experimental kind, since XM578 projectiles known got full bore calibre fins.

Attachments

• 578.jpg
    578.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 579.jpg
    579.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 19