What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible German heavy calibre round?

Neil Turner

DSC02782_1000.JPGDSC02783_1000.JPGI would be interested to hear if anyone can identify this item. It is made of lead and was found on a beach near the low water line. The area was very heavily defended by the German army during the war with a number of strong-points around the bay. Thanks for your help, Neil

Neil - It is difficult to be precise, but your bullet looks like a mid nineteenth century projectile for a muzzle loading weapon. It seems to be about .6 inch calibre and has a hollow base similar to a Minie design. As I can see no rifling marks on the bullet it has presumably been fired from a smoothbore gun. Also the bullet looks too short to be from a British Pattern 53 .577 inch rifled musket or similar. Perhaps from one of the navy's smooth bore muskets?

Whichever, I think we can safely say that it is much earler than German from WW2.

Regards
TonyE

View attachment 62685View attachment 62686I would be interested to hear if anyone can identify this item. It is made of lead and was found on a beach near the low water line. The area was very heavily defended by the German army during the war with a number of strong-points around the bay. Thanks for your help, Neil

Hi

Musquet bullet !

images

minie_ball_detail.jpg.aspx

or sub caliber training round

:tinysmile_grin_t:

Thanks for this information which is entirely plausible. Many of the German defences are actually built on top of substantial British defences and I have found a couple of musket balls in the same area (roughly mid-way between two forts) Thanks Neil