What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post War DF37,what means the black marking? Practice?

Hi,

I've attached a page from the Fench TTA150 chapter XV (2001) which mentions all the colors for the French handgrenade DF37/46.

Black however is not mentionned in this Technical paper, however it is possible that black was a valid color for drill-grenades in the 60's

Attachments

• DF 37 modifie 46_colors.pdf
    32.3 KB · Views: 31
Thank's for the info.

Wasn't french practice handgrenades always
filled with white lime,to show if the target would
been hit ? How should the lime come out of a
massive defensive grenade?

If anybody here know some more,please post here!

Thanks!

Thank's for the info.

Wasn't french practice handgrenades always
filled with white lime,to show if the target would
been hit ? How should the lime come out of a
massive defensive grenade?

If anybody here know some more,please post here!

Thanks!

The Practice nades for the DF37/46 were made of thin bleu painted aluminum (old style) or bleu plastic (new style) and they do contain a lime filling that indicated the impact place upon bursting.

Your black DF37 is a DRILL one, made from a 'real' cast body and was only used for throwing exercices or educational purposes, and did not contain anything.

Attachments

• 100_1911.jpg
    100_1911.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 17
Hello

Got this black marked piece since yrs
in my collection,dosn't know if it was
a HE or a practice?
Thanks!

View attachment 54689View attachment 54690

Hello

I'm pretty sure this is not the real colors, it seems me it was repainted.

But, let me tell you, you can find OF 37 grenades blue, or blue and black (black on the upper part) for exercice, so perharps it's the same for DF grenades.

About DF37, the HE grenades were painted in yellow, or red and yellow. And there is a marking on the bottom of the grenade. (by example T means Tolite)

Mybe I'm in wrong, but the colour has something of "american" like. The neck is unusual and not as the others DF37-46 (it is higher and w/o adaptator). Maybe it is a modified DF grenade to partecipate in some USA (?) procurement.

Yes, something is.. strange. Here is a real DF 37-46 (filled with Tolite) but without colors.

DSCF7177.JPGDSCF7179.JPGDSCF7181.JPG