What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Posting Grenades within UK

pointblank0

BOCN Supporter
Hello all,

Is there anything I should be aware of with using Royal Mail to post inert grenades? Do they need to be stripped down and do they need to be labled 'inert'?

Thanks guys

I always strip them down as far as they will go and put in a label stating the item is inert and free from explosives. This has always worked ok for me.
Paul.

US to UK

Just to add another point of view, over the years I have shipped about 25 grenades to the UK from the US. All have made it unscathed.....Dano

Just to add another point of view, over the years I have shipped about 25 grenades to the UK from the US. All have made it unscathed.....Dano

So far,so good dano :p
As long as everything is fully stripped then there should be no probs whatsoever. :)

best

waff

UK to US
Hi Dano i sent two boxes of grenades to the states , the first box with the Mills grenades arrived safely , the second box was impounded and blown up by US customs.
After a year of intense letters i managed under US law to get compensation, for the collector whom i sent them to.
Internal UK mail as far as i am aware is not xrayed .

Best not to take any chances even with internal flights: dismantle them and add a paper in the parcel stating that the goods are inert paper-weights. Worked so far for me with items from and to the USA and UK.

Thanks everyone. Just thought I'd make sure. I have bought loads of grenades but rip the wrapping off really quick as I am usually very excited so never really see how it is packed!

Royal Mail have a published set of terms and conditions which list prohibited articles -
pasted below -

[FONT=ChevinLight,ChevinLight][FONT=ChevinLight,ChevinLight]Aerosols, except inhalers
• Alcoholic liquids with alcohol content higher than 70%
• Asbestos
• Batteries that are classed as dangerous goods by the latest edition of the International Civil Aviation Organisation’s Technical Instructions
• Butane lighters and refills​
• Clinical and medical waste
• Flammable, non-flammable, toxic compressed gases
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=ChevinLight,ChevinLight][FONT=ChevinLight,ChevinLight]Corrosives
• Counterfeit money or counterfeit postage stamps
• Drugs of any description, except those which are restricted material
• Dry ice
• Environmental waste
• Explosives
• Filth
• Flammable liquids or solids
• Lottery tickets except for United Kingdom lottery tickets
• Indecent, obscene or offensive material
• Infectious substances (UN2814 or UN2900) as classified at Division 6.2 of the 2005-2006 Edition Technical Instructions for Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air published by ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organisation)
• Magnetised material with a magnetic field strength of 0.159A/metre or more at a distance of 2.1 metres from the outside of the package
• Matches
• Oxidising materials or organic peroxides
• Pesticides
• Toxic liquids, solids or gases
• Poisons
• All radioactive material and samples that are classified as radioactive using Table2-12 of the latest edition of the International Civil Aviations Organisation’s Technical Instructions
• Weapons of war, except those which are restricted materials
• Ammunition
• Solvent-based paints, varnishes and enamels
• Water-based paints, varnishes and enamels with volume over 150 millilitres
Any other item banned by law or that in our opinion may be harmful or dangerous to our employees;

The last item is a "catch all" and would allow RM to pull the plug on any delivery it didnt like the look of.

The link to the full document is here -
ftp://ftp.royalmail.com/.../ctf/.../rm_general_ts&cs_dec09_update.pdf

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Interesting last post as currently in dispute with RM as 2 grenades sent recorded to Holland & marked INERT outside with a slip inside stating FFE & with senders address has not been sent as according to RM they are banned in NL (they aren`t).
I am arguing that they should then at least return to me - awaiting reply but not holding breath!!

If you're posting grenades and the parcel is sent by Special Delivery,it will be x-rayed.

If the parcel containing the grenades is going by air (within the UK and overseas) it will be x-rayed.

Cheers,
Andy

Interesting last post as currently in dispute with RM as 2 grenades sent recorded to Holland & marked INERT outside with a slip inside stating FFE & with senders address has not been sent as according to RM they are banned in NL (they aren`t).
I am arguing that they should then at least return to me - awaiting reply but not holding breath!!

Lads,we have been through this a million time on BOCN about posting items and labelling.
Im not mentioning any tips in public anymore regs to labelling but im sure i would not have stuck an FFE sticker on the outside of the box....

best

waff

I have received "goods" from overseas that were labeled on the outside "inert ordnance". For some strange reason the stuff actually showed up. Please guys keep the inert notices on the inside of package. I really see no need to advertise to the world what is being shipped. I hope I did not hurt anyones feelings here but think about it. Kind of reminds me of the guy wearing the sign on his back that reads "kick me hard", it just does not make any sense. I have lots of packages coming in the mail from overseas and when "inert ordnance" is labeled on the outside it worries me that someone may start noticing/watching. If I do tag the inside of package I will usually leave a short note to the postmaster that item is inert and for collecting use only. So far I have had only one package that flat did not show up and I think I just got ripped off on that one. Now some stuff from England "surface" has taken over 4 months to get here, but that's for another story...Dano

Last edited: