What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Practice but a little different

Lou

U.S. 50lb Bomb help needed please

U.S. 50lb practice bomb.Its a range find and its too far gone to save the paint and needs the rust stopped.Just for display Id like to dress it in war paint.
Could someone please provide good photos of this,mainly the stenciling and perhaps photos of this type of bomb in war trim??All I seem to be able to find is distant pics of the ordnance being dropped.
And please,if someone has two lugs I could purchase please PM me?Lugs are 3/4X8?threaded most practice stuff should fit I would think.
Any help will be much appreciated guys,,,,,,,

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Hi Lou ,Nice find!
I don't know much about these but have seen them on an American A/F training film.In the film they where painted orange and i think were carried on the clamp type racks so wouldn't always need lugs.The era was late 50s-early 60s.
cheers Bob.

Hi Lou ,Nice find!
I don't know much about these but have seen them on an American A/F training film.In the film they where painted orange and i think were carried on the clamp type racks so wouldn't always need lugs.The era was late 50s-early 60s.
cheers Bob.
Thanks for your help Bob.Upon closer inspection I did find traces of orange in one of the cotter pin holes.I must admit,although I know enough about the ordnance side of this,saftey,how it works,what it was used for,Im lacking in how it was marked or painted,how it was mounted etc etc. Hopefully someone out here has some good photos of live version of the 50lber,that I can copy when I repaint it.

Hi Lou ,

Can't find any photos but the item is ;

Bomb,Practice,56pound,MK89 mod1 and 2.

Listed in TM9 -1325-200.
Pics only show indexing line ,though you may be able to follow remainder of paint for the stencilling.

cheers Bob.

Hi Lou,all the info i have on this item.
hope its helpful.
cheers Bob

Attachments

• 112.jpg
    112.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 113.jpg
    113.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 114.jpg
    114.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 26