What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pre-war type 15

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
German bomb fuze. 1937 dated, type 15 fuze - basic impact fuze. (of note is the waffenampt mark on the charging head)

Had this one in the collection for a while and thought it was time I posted some pics.

regards Kev

HPIM8711.jpgHPIM8713.jpgHPIM8714.jpgHPIM8715.jpg

Nice example Kev,indeedy that waff stamp is very nice. :) Im sure ive seen 15's from around 1936 too?
Will have a root round the collection. As soon as house renovations done,then i shall pipe up with pics of the new look room.

best
waff

Last edited:
Hi I may be wrong but didn't they use the folded wing Waffenamt,(no P), mark until March 1938?

Cheers
Tony

Hi I may be wrong but didn't they use the folded wing Waffenamt,(no P), mark until March 1938?

Cheers
Tony

The imperial one? good point. Does anyone have a list of waff stamps with location of the inspector? I know there are lists available for the factory codes.

cheers
waff

Cheers
Tony

Tony, thanks for bringing this up, I would like to know more about when these marks were introduced / changed over etc.

All I can tell you is that I have seen this same mark on other early fuzes that I have seen pictures of.
Maybe someone on the forum has the answers?

regards Kev

The imperial one? good point. Does anyone have a list of waff stamps with location of the inspector? I know there are lists available for the factory codes.

cheers
waff

It would be great if someone had a list of all the inspectors. However I believe no such list exists. From my understanding an inspector had a particular stamp, when he moved to a different location he retained the original stamp allocated to him. So a particular stamp may turn up different locations.

Of course it ought to be possible to put a name to the various inspectors, however I believe the lists were either destroyed or lost.

Of course this is just as I understand the system, if someone knows different please feel free to correct me - I would like to know for definate!!

regards Kev

Here is an example of the 'Inspection Stamp' used later on the German Bomb fuzes for comparison.

regards Kev

HPIM7087.jpg

Just remembered where I got the 1938 date for the start of the 'nazi' eagle being used on inspection marks,It's in An illustrated history of bayonets by Martin Brayley,on page 91 in two of the photo headers is "S84/98 WaA Waffenampt(spelt with a P!). This early inspector's mark shows an eagle with "drop" wings,this is a pre-1938 stamp,The marking is on the pommel of a bayonet dated 1935"...the other reads"In 1938,a nazi type eagle with spread wings replaced the old drop -wing Waffenampt eagle,the new mark is shown here on the pommel of a S84/98 bayonet dated from 1943"..............well I'm confused! as already stated I have 1943 dated rounds with the early mark on them! also confused about the P in Waffenamt now!:tinysmile_cry_t:

Cheers
Tony

Thats the Luftwaffe inspectors stamp with that lovely designed curly 'L' in the design.

Im thinking the earlier Imperial stamp found on some of my shell cases from 1936. Will try and find a pic.. hang on.

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/63234-German-3.7cm-FLaK-case pic 2. However,ive another case from 1938 with the waff stamp shaped like the one on Kevs fuze.

best

waff

Thanks for sorting that one out Waff,would explain my "late dates" as they are on MG151/20's:crossedlips:!!!!.
Been trying to photo a non Imperial,non Luftwaffe pre 1938 drop wing mark but it's mission impossible using macro and the flash!,I'm out all day tomorrow so will do it the following day and post it on here.

Cheers
Tony

Here are the photos as promised,right going to stick my neck out a bit here and skate on thin ice ect...... but from what information I can find out,and it is from a bayonet source, that the Imperial eagle was never used on Inspection marks but the later closed wing inspection mark has become known as an Imperial eagle,because of its close(simplified) resemblance to it, by collectors,the Imperial inspection mark should be a Gothic letter/letters with a Prussian crown above it,the Imperial eagle was used as an ownership mark and was even stamped on captured arms.
Would like to hear if anyone could dispel or confirm this information as it would clear up a few question marks about other militaria items I have.

Waff I was wondering if it was the position number 68,you know the one where you go away owing her one!:wink:

All the best
Tony

Last edited:
Great looking fuze there Kev, my only 15 has a mark in same place but is very poorly stamped and can hardly see it.