What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre WW1 77x230 German Cases

Vasco Da Gama

Pictured are 2 cases (77x230mm) for the German field gun introduced in 1896. Both cases are dated 1898 and have multiple manufactures Headstamps, very similar to the example shown on the Kaiser Bunker website. Both cases are the very light weight examples used before the St marked production which replaced this type of case. Both are shown for interest but I do wonder what may have forced this ammunition to be updated about 10 years after initial production.

As always very glad to have your comments.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 81
your cases are not longer for the F.K. C/96 as these are converted ones. Your cases are for the F.K. C/96 n/A which was introduced in 1908. Prior to the conversion your cases were 77x132R for the C/96, that's why they are very light.

Many thanks Alpini this would explain why cases of this type all appear to have been reworked in 1908/09. I would expect that the original 77x132R cases are very rare.

You are right, the cases with original length are really rare. During many years I got only one and it came from South Africa and was most probably imported from Namibia (ex german colony).

By the way, I just found out what the "Gm" acceptance stamp represents (it was the last unknown to me). "Gm" is the Artilleriedepot Germersheim on Rhine river.

So we have the complete way of your case:

1. produced in 1898 in the bavarian Hauptlaboratorium in Ingolstadt
2. accepted for service again in the bavarian Hauptlaboratorium in Ingolstadt
3. reworked in 1908 at the D.W.u.M.F.K=Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabrik, Karlsruhe
4. accepted for service in the bavarian Artilleriedepot Germersheim (part of Germersheim Fortress)

What was the process involved in re-working a 132mm long case to 230mm long?

I think the cases passed some more annealing and redrawing operations to gain more length. During their initial production process the cases also ran through several redrawing operations.

@Vasco da Gama: can you weight your case?

Last edited:
Thanks Alpini, both cases pictured are of the same light weight. I will borrow the kitchen scales at the weekend, when I am next at home, and then post the weight of each of the cases.

You are right, the cases with original length are really rare. During many years I got only one and it came from South Africa and was most probably imported from Namibia (ex german colony).

Can you please post a picture of your case Alpini? D

Of course I have a Picture. The left one shows a 77x132R for the Feldkanone 96, the right one shows a 77x100R "Salut"-case also for the Feldkanone 96. I guess it was not possible to convert the right one to a 77x230R because these 100 mm long cases are not that rare.

77x132R u. 77x100R.jpg

Last edited:
Of course I have a Picture. The left one shows a 77x132R for the Feldkanone 96, the right one shows a 77x100R "Salut"-case also for the Feldkanone 96. I guess it was not possible to convert the right one to a 77x230R because these 100 mm long cases are not that rare.

View attachment 81606

Thanks Alpini. What does the 'A' signify on the base?

I've got one with no A

By the way what's the weight of the 77x132R cartridge case?

Attachments

• IMG_4163.jpg
    IMG_4163.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 29
it's the german word for a blank, or french cartouche de manoeuvre

//edit: it seems I was a Little bit to slow... :)

The meaning of the "A" is still unknown but I have observed it only on 77x100R blanks.

Last edited:
weight of 77x100R = 533 g
weight of 77x132R = 543 g

It would be nice if you could post weights too

From your photo it seems that the 132mm long case has much thicker case walls than the 230mm type. This would make sense if they somehow re-formed the old cases to 230mm length.

Afternoon Alpini, you requested the weight of the stretched 1898 case. Pictured is a standard 1908 manufactured case, weight 760g. The weight of the stretched FK96 N/a case is 525g a noticeable difference. The light case feels as if it is made from Aluminium the brass is so thin. It is interesting that the strengthened (ST marked) case was manufactured in 1908 at the same time as the older cases were being re-worked. Many thanks for all your information on this thread.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 32