What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preserving WW1 Shrapnel from Passchendaele

staples57

BOCN Supporter
A good friend just returned from France and brought me back a couple of pieces of WW1 shrapnel from Passchendaele. He found them on the surface while walking a farmer's field. Yes, he did have the farmer's permission and they were simply lying on the surface.

Both pieces have had the rust removed... hammered off and then hand brushed with a brass wire brush (no chemical or electro rust removal process was used).

The attached photos just don't do them justice. They look amazing!

My question is... How should I preserve them?
If I leave them "as is" they will continue to rust.

What do you suggest?

Attachments

• Passchendaele Shrapnel.jpg
    Passchendaele Shrapnel.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 61
Encase them in plastic? urathane I think, not sure about the spelling on that one. I've seen coins and other things done that way.

I have a few similar pieces found about 15 years ago and after a similar cleaning they have sat on a shelve and not got any worse.(just dusty) so i think yours will be ok.
paul.

Thanks gijunkman, I like the idea, but having never done this before I wouldn't want to ruin them. They are the only two pieces I have.

Encase them in plastic? urathane I think, not sure about the spelling on that one. I've seen coins and other things done that way.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul, that's good to hear!
I've heard that there are ways to seal the iron and stop them from rusting any further. I just don't know anyone who's actually done it.
If that's really not necessary then I'll just leave them alone.

Cheers,
Brad

I have a few similar pieces found about 15 years ago and after a similar cleaning they have sat on a shelve and not got any worse.(just dusty) so i think yours will be ok.
paul.

anti-rust

As long as they're kept dry Brad they will be fine. Some people will spray clear lacquer or similar paint as a preservative but it's not necessary as in present form they should be good to pass on to your childrens childrens childrens children, and then some! Dano

Thanks Dano, that settles it... I'm leaving them alone. I'll just put them on display and enjoy the new eye-candy!

Thanks,
Brad

As long as they're kept dry Brad they will be fine. Some people will spray clear lacquer or similar paint as a preservative but it's not necessary as in present form they should be good to pass on to your childrens childrens childrens children, and then some! Dano

Ive got some parts from a German FZG76 V1 bomb in the garage that i recovered from a crash site , as they were rusty i sprayed them with Plasti coat quick dry varnish , every couple of years i recoat them, being thin metal they will soon rust away without treatment.Artillery and bomb shrapnel being thick metal it maybe worth just brushing down and leaving if its in the house!

Thanks Steve. This part of my collection is in the house so the moisture content in the air should be relatively low. After all the suggestions, I'm going to leave them alone and display them in the house.
...giving them a light brush once a year if necessary.
Living in Canada, I don't get to the Passchendaele battlefields that often. The last thing I want to do is ruin a bit of history by improperly preserving them.

Cheers,
Brad

Ive got some parts from a German FZG76 V1 bomb in the garage that i recovered from a crash site , as they were rusty i sprayed them with Plasti coat quick dry varnish , every couple of years i recoat them, being thin metal they will soon rust away without treatment.Artillery and bomb shrapnel being thick metal it maybe worth just brushing down and leaving if its in the house!