What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Projectile and Fuze ID required

exat808

Ordnance approved
I am trying to establish an accurate identification of the projectile and fuze in this image. I am sorry but I cannot offer any other information on the items. ymtproj.jpg

difficult, but it looks like a no.80 on a 13pr (might be 18pr depends on the holders hand size). If the red paint is origonal then its content would be incendary.

Thank you 2pounder. I'm sorry that my information is so vague. I dont know whose hand it is and I have no idea regarding the originality of the paint. Do you know what the incendiary filling would have been?
I will be looking at the projectile next week but was trying to establish it identity before I see it.

It's a Krupp Shrapnel or a copy which was made in license. This dark red color is very typical for Krupp shrapnels and also sometimes for HE shells. But without a better photo of the fuze it is nearly impossible to say which type it is exactly as there are many many (minimum 40) slightly different types of them.

Maybe I should have played about with the photo first and seen its NOT a typical 13 or 18pr band. I bow to Alpini's knowledge on this one.

@2Pounder: the No.80 fuze is also one of the license made copies ;-) But it is the one with the most changes to the outer appearance (scale on fuze body and not on 1st time ring, different british type fuze thread, larger diameter, etc.). And yes the 13pr driving band is different, a little wider and it has no groove.

@exat: No need to post a photo. Frizzen's outstanding collection has some examples which were made for Turkey:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/84398-Turkish-7-5cm-case?p=214942&viewfull=1#post214942

But the one on you photo is for a different country. Even the french Schneider company made such projectiles with equal looking fuzes but these had Schneider fuze mechanics inside...

Last edited:
Thank you Alpini.
What examples of markings can I expect to see stamped into the shell body?
I know that Krupps designed the fuze which was made under license in UK as the No80 - but can you tell me who else made similar fuzes - what names might I see when I examine the fuze?
Sorry for lots of questions but I am researching this projectile before I actually see it.

if it is a Krupp made projectile you have to expect nearly no markings, not even a manufacturing date. If it is produced in a foreign country it depends on the country what you will see stamped.

There were two types of countries in this time, countries with industry and countries without. Most countries with a good industry had their own production of these fuzes. Examples are Italy, Belgium, The Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, France (for export only) and Japan. Countries like Turkey, China, Bulgaria, Greece, Chile and most other south american countries bought most of the fuzes and had only small or no production capabilities for them. Even as these fuzes hit my main interest I guess that I do not know half of them :) Germany itself interestingly used such fuzes only in the german navy and the german navy bought them from Krupp and did not had a own production. The german land forces did not utilize such fuzes except for illumination shells (but time fuzes, no double action fuzes). Most exported fuzes are unnamed except if the customer ordered the fuzes with a name stamped. The bulgarian and turkish one are mostly with extra markings for example.

Do you have a chance to get this nice piece?

Do you have a chance to get this nice piece?

No, I wont be buying the projectile. It is part of a larger collection of ordance that I will be working with next week and I was wanting to get a positive ID on it before I see it. Thank you for the information that you have provided.