What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Projectile id please...

A friend of mine brought this into my relic club meeting last night and we were hoping someone might be able to give us a little information as to what gun it went to and/or what era it was used. It was found in Richmond, Virginia. There are no markings on it other than a very faint anchor and a crude "x" stamped in the flat nose. The approximate measurements are... 14" long, 4" diameter and 30.5 pounds. Thanks for checking it out.

Attachments

• P6210003.jpg
    P6210003.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 64
  • P6210005.jpg
    P6210005.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 68
  • P6210006.jpg
    P6210006.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 53
Most likely a 4 inch "Common" projectile for the 4" 40 cal or 4" 50 cal guns. The 4" 40 cal was a straight case older design used from around 1900 up through at least the early 1920s. The 4" 50 cal used a bottleneck case and was used up through WWII. We actually had someone inquire about these about a week ago.

Some photos in this post:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...Navy-from-the-O-Brien-room?highlight=inch+cal

Last edited:
cat-0067.jpgcat-0066.jpg

Hello aquachigger,

Here is some information regarding the closest match I could find of your U.S. 4-inch Naval commom shell. The projectile shown was used from the early 1900's thru WWII. Your blunt tip projectile I suspect dates from between 1890 to the 1920's. It's a very nice piece of turn of the century naval ordnance.

Best regards,

Randall

Thanks for the speedy replies guys. I'm more of a ACW era artillery guy, but this stuff is fascinating as well. I hope to be more active here in the future. Thanks again...

Hello Charley,

If you look at John's (hazord) photos from his above post, you'll see his 4"/40 shell (1st photo, 2nd shell) with the classic AP shot design projectile. It's my understanding that the 4-inch MK 6 projectile was used only with the 4-inch/50 longer bottleneck style casings.

Best regards,

Randall