What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Projectiles

west gunner

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone might know what these are. I bought them a few years ago but dont know anything about them.
The first projectile is 139mm high, has a hexagon shaped base with the sides twisting up along the side of the projectile. The width at the bottom is 50mm. The fuse was removed and it weighs 1.058kg.
The second projectile look like a small shot round. It has 7 flat surfaces on its diameter with two smaller flat surfaces on the top and bottom. It weighs 0.377kg.
When I bought them I thought that they were early pieces and that the flat surfaces engaged with rifling in a barrel. Any idea as to what they are?

Attachments

• SN203112.jpg
    SN203112.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 45
  • SN202618.jpg
    SN202618.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 53
  • SN203108.jpg
    SN203108.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 52
  • SN203111.jpg
    SN203111.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 50
It is a Whitworth bolt (projectile). Developed by the UK, used by the US somewhat during the Civil War. Lots of fakes around, you can find plenty of sites that will help you out on the details.

Hi US-Subs,
Thank you for the info. I think the first projectile is a Whitworth Pattern 1, Sub Pattern 1, but I might be wrong on that! The diameter across the flats and outer diameter match but the lenght is shorter. The example I have is 5.5" not 5 9/16". Does anyone have any idea what the second ball projectile is? Thanks.....

Sir,
Are all four photos of the same shell?
The third image from left is a Whitworth shell, not a bolt (sorry Subs), a bolt would be a solid casting, the third has a threaded fuze well which makes it a shell. Do you have its fuze?
Regards,
John aka Bart

Hi John,
No I don't have the fuse from the shell. The first and last pictures in my original post are of a ball typ projectile. The bore of the two items more or less match. The shell: distance between flats is 1.68". The ball projectile: distance between flats is 1.69". So it looks like it was designed to engage Whitworth rifling? I have attached some more pictures.

Attachments

• Ball02.jpg
    Ball02.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 16
  • Ball01.jpg
    Ball01.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Ball03.jpg
    Ball03.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 13
Gunner,
I have seen at least two models of this rifled ball,one of yours and the one below. I don't think this projectile ever made it to service, at least in the U.S. I have seen test results of is firing and appeared to be fairly accurate.
I believe the elongated shell is the one I show below. This has been field recovered near Fort Fisher, North Carolina in the U.s. Civil War.
The rifled spherical ball is a rare one. Can't place a value but suspect a avid collector would pay dearly for it.
Regards,
John aka Bart

Attachments

• 4.62 Inch Whitworth Spherical Bolt.jpg
    4.62 Inch Whitworth Spherical Bolt.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 23
The 3 pdr Whitworth Shell, unfuzed

Attachments

• 3 pdr Whitworth Shell.jpg
    3 pdr Whitworth Shell.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 22
Gunner,
After reviewing the size of the rifled ball, ie., .55 across side flats and 1.793 from top to bottom, it has to be a small arms bullet.
The elongated projectile is definitely the 1.7 inch Whitworth shell for the 3 pdr cannon.
Regards,
John aka Bart

Gunner and All,
I fear I have mis-understood the dimentions of the rifled ball and would like to reconsider my I.D.
John has stated that the .55 inch diameter refers to the size of the top and bottom flat area.
Its side flat to side flat is 1.7 inches.
This 1.7 inch diameter would make it a prime candidate for the 1.7 inch (3pdr) Whitworth Rifled cannon just like the elongated projectile bought with these rifled balls. My apology to U.s. Subs that it is a rifled bolt.
Regards,
John aka Bart

Attachments

• Ball Side.jpg
    Ball Side.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Ball Bottom.jpg
    Ball Bottom.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Ball Top.jpg
    Ball Top.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 8