What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Protection

Motiztab

Hi to all, thias is my first post so please be careful with me!

A couple of years ago i brought back from the Somme area of France a GEW K98 relic of WW1 age. It cost the grand total of 12 euros! Now for the passed two years i have been painting it with a oil/petrol mix trying to let it soak in and slow the rust. Now it has been mounted on a custom English Oak mount with Walnut surround. So its just about ready to go on the living room wall. My question what can i paint it with that will not:
1 change colour
2 damage it

Thanks

Hi there,

welcome to the forum, how about a clear varnish or just several coats of beeswax polish? This is all i use on the grens i dont shellac.

Andy

Hi,
Clear varnish if matt finish sounds good. Beeswax , i feel its to far gone for that as all the wooden stock has rotted away so its just the rust/pitted gun metal left.

Hello and welcome to BOCN,dont worry as we are a friendly bunch(most of the time!:xd:)

Any chance of a picture of the item please so our lads can assess it better for you?

cheers

waff

waffenamt,

I have posted a couple of thread under Members Collections but have not worked out how to post more than 5 at once, I do have about 20 close up shots for the guys to have a look at but cannot find a Gallery?