What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pyrotechnic warning signals

Yodamaster

Ordnance approved
Hi all,

I known, my question today is not immediatly about munitions but well about civilian pyrotechnic stuff.
Here a picture of the remnants of a "probably" pyrotechnic warning signal for railways maintenance teams.
I found three of them in my street this morning.
One manufacturor mark is "EHD" : belgian Eugne Hendricks Deurne
The other one "PAN" is unknown.
Should someone can help me with the id of this manufacturor ?

You must known that the actual football world championship interest a great number of neighbors, especially the regulars of nearby bar.
You must also known that the population is very ecclectic (belgian of course but not in majority, Italians, Spanish, Turks, French,.....). When one of those football teams is playing and winning, it's a real corrida in the streets of raging cars with demential horns !
Yesterday evening, two very strong "bangs" occured. This morning, I found these remnants.

Yoda

Attachments

• DSC_7561comp.jpg
    DSC_7561comp.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 59
Hello Yoda,

I think it's not a really good idea to play with these "ptards" in the street !!!

I don't know these Belgian markings.

In France this device is called "ptard griffe SNCF" (Railway Fog Signal) made by LACROIX/RUGGIERI.

Regards

Pétard à griffe SNCF LACROIX.jpgPétard à griffe SNFC LXT.jpgPétard à griffe Ruggieri.jpg

Hi all,

I known, my question today is not immediatly about munitions but well about civilian pyrotechnic stuff.

Funny you should mention these but they were included on my basic AT course in the period 1978 - 1980:
`Signal Fog - used to give passing trains warning of fog ahead. The signals are fixed to the rails by means of a lead strap. Five percussion caps fire and ignite 7.8 grammes of gunpowder , giving a loud report. A minimum speed of 5 mph (approx. 8 kmh) is required to initiate them.' At the time of my course these could be contained in a tinplate case, although I notice that in this thread the body of the fog signals appear now to be plastic. To continue: `Markings - eight year cyclic colour code. 1960 - 1961 = black, then red, grey, blue, brown, green, yellow, white = 1967 - 1968.' I don't know whether the colour coding system applied only to British fog signal devices.

Hi all,

Funny you should mention these but they were included on my basic AT course in the period 1978 - 1980:
`Signal Fog - used to give passing trains warning of fog ahead. The signals are fixed to the rails by means of a lead strap. Five percussion caps fire and ignite 7.8 grammes of gunpowder , giving a loud report. A minimum speed of 5 mph (approx. 8 kmh) is required to initiate them.' At the time of my course these could be contained in a tinplate case, although I notice that in this thread the body of the fog signals appear now to be plastic. To continue: `Markings - eight year cyclic colour code. 1960 - 1961 = black, then red, grey, blue, brown, green, yellow, white = 1967 - 1968.' I don't know whether the colour coding system applied only to British fog signal devices.

the two shown dated 1987 & 1993 are still tin plate

Tony

Here in the states they are called Railroad Torpedoes for reasons unknown.

Attachments

• 1280px-Railroad_torpedo_with_lead_straps.jpg
    1280px-Railroad_torpedo_with_lead_straps.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Pétard_sncb.jpg
    Pétard_sncb.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 17
  • rr408torpedo2.jpg
    rr408torpedo2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 17
Thanks to all for your answers.
I've found on internet a picture of this item whose interesting me.
It's called "Ptard SNCB". The marking on it and the shape of the upper part is exactly what I found in my street.
Monday I'll try to find more technical data about it.

Yoda

Attachments

• Pétard_sncb.jpg
    Pétard_sncb.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 13
In 2012 A British teenager was blinded in one eye by one of these. A box of them that were past their expiry date had been dumped in a regular waste bin behind a Network Rail depot. The kids took rubbish from the bin to start a fire and unknowingly threw them into fire. They then exploded, scattering debris from the fire.

Last edited:
I don't have good pictures. In Spain those are called "PETARDOS DE SEALES ACSTICAS DE FERROCARRIL".
136.jpgDSC_0010.JPGDSC_0017.jpg

Pics from google

Hi all,

One manufacturor mark is "EHD" : belgian Eugne Hendricks Deurne
The other one "PAN" is unknown.
Should someone can help me with the id of this manufacturor ?

OKay !
For the interested of markings, PAN is the manufacturors code of "Panzera s.a.s Industria Pirotecnica, Regione Olmi N 78 10041 Carignano (TO) - Italy"

Yoda

I just checked Tony's photos and info with the date cycle that I was given and the two do not match. I can't shed any light on that, unfortunately.