What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about M39's

Mikhail

I know the M24 Stick grenades were loaded with Trinitrotoluene, was this the same filling (sounds like I am talking about pastries!) used on the M39 "egg" grenade? And if it was (and I am asking regarding both the 39 & 42, was its appearance more Pale yellow loose "needles", flakes or prills -or- was it melt-cast into the case where it became a solid block?

I was just asking because I've seen a cutaway awhile back on a 39 and it looked like it was loose filling...but I've also seen a cutaway where it was represented as a solid block.

Just curious as to which way would be a more accurate representation for cutaways of these grenades.

Thanks!
Mikhail

I like pastries!
According to Waffen-Arsenal Band 174, the Eierhandgranate 39 was filled with Fllpulver 02 (TNT), Donarit I or Donarit II.
Donarit I is a red powder (Explosivstoffe - Khler et Al.)

I hope that helps.

Last edited: