What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question: M7A3 rifle grenade launcher

codebook

Hello everybody,

I have a question concerning the M7A3 rifle grenade launcher. This launcher was used in the early post-war German Army with the US rifle M1 Garand.

As you can see on the drawing (German instruction, undated), a flip-up sight was put onto the launcher.
Was this sight also used in the USA? I have never seen one, neither in a manual nor in reality.

If there was no sight in use in the US, why does the launcher has this "holes" drilled into each side left and right (where the Germans fixed the sight)?

GGr_M7A3_fr_M1_Zeichnung.jpg GGr_M7A3_fr_M1_Foto.jpg

BTW, if someon
e has a M7A3 for sale ... I need one :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Thanks for any information and best wishes

Michael

A friend of mine had a M7A2 and a M7A3 grenade launcher for the M1 rifle, they both had flip-up, removable sights for use with the large, post WWII anti-tank rifle grendes (M28 and M31). I have also been unable to find this type of sight in my collection of U.S. Army TMs. The sight is shown on a M7A3 launcher in 'Ordnance Tools, Accessories & Appendages of the M1 Rifle' by Billy Pyle, 2003, G. S. Publications, Houston, TX, USA.

Last edited:
Hi Guys
I can tell you right off the top of my head that we had 3 versions.The first one M7 used a grenade launcher blank,the M7a2 seem to shot with ball ammo,&M7a3 you could shot simi auto with it.I can post some info when I get time if you would like.My memery is really bad.
Vinny

There were four versions of the M7 grenade launcher for the M1 rifle, M7, M7A1, M7A2, and M7A3. ALL of them used the M3 Grenade cartridge for projection of the grenade. The M7A2 and M7A3 had mounting holes for a removable sight. I have samples of each launcher type, but no removable sight. The M15 sight was the authorized sight for all of these launchers. The WWII M7 launcher did not allow semi-auto fire (with ball ammo) with the launcher attached, later versions did allow semi auto fire with ball ammo, but still required hand loading of the M3 Grenade cartridge for grenade projection. NO grenades were projected with ball ammo from the M1 rifle.

Last edited: