What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Grenade Marking

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
On this Norwegian M/42 is the R. the company code? And what does it stand for?

Joe

Attachments

• Norway.jpg
    Norway.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 33
when I think about Norway + ammunition, Raufoss is the first company which comes out of my mind

Hum, not easy problem !

the code of Raufoss is generaly RA.
When you read the marking on the grenade and that you look on the LEXPEV site, you learn that this grenade was token in german nomenclature, signification of the (n) for norwegian origin.
It can be possible that the r is the manufacturor mark of a german manufacteror.

For R, I have "Rheinisch-Westfälische Sprengstoffe A-G, Reinsdorf plant, Germany"

Yoda

So the question would then be when German occupied a country and took over a manufacturing plant, did they assign their own manufacturing code?

So ... "R, I have "Rheinisch-Westfälische Sprengstoffe A-G, Reinsdorf plant, Germany" ... could that plant be associated somehow with Norway? Or could R. be a German marking for Raufoss?

Things to ponder.

Joe

Interesting item. Haven't noticed before.
According to the question I still tend to 'Raufoss' for various reasons. The German WW II Ordnance Codes are generally written in lowercase letters. Also behind the 'R' is a point, that might be seen as a hint to a second Letter (->RA). In addition, it is known that these grenades were produced before the German invasion and included in the inventory during occupation. This also points to a local manufacturer.

But these are only conclusions, no certain knowledge. I wonder if we can get more information on that.

By the way, for 'r' I've read: Westfaelische-Anhaltische Sprengstoff AG (WASAG), Reinsdorf plant (Werk Reinsdorf), but there could also have been a name change in 1931.

Best wishes from germany.