What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question On Japanese 25mm Navy HE-T Projectile Color

pzjgr

Hey guys, got a question on the color on the Japanese Navy 25mm high explosive tracer projectile...

Picked up two (inert) complete rounds with fuzes this weekend at a show for a song...BUT they had been chromed, completely.

So I found a local little plating shop, took them down, and asked if they could be de-chromed. They said sure. Dropped them off Wednesday at lunch, picked them up Thursday at 4:00...they were perfect. Completely de-chromed. They looked like shit, since they looked like they were pickled, but brought them home and cleaned them up on the buffing wheel, and man, look perfect (albeit very shiny, but they will tone down after a little time I am sure)...sure better than chromed.

Anyway, looking it up in TM 9-1985, the projectile is said to be red or orange...the question is what sort of orange...anyone have any good pics of originals, or good resto's? I can paint them red, but orange would be interesting, maybe I'll do one of each...The manual says the only discernable difference between the two colored projectiles is a slight differenc in weight...

I will post pics once I get them done....

So working out in the garage today, so I got them painted up between real work, along with a 20x139 drill round I painted up to resemble a German HE-T I saw on a thread here (although I didn't finish the stenciling, I need to find some 1/8" letters for these small rounds...)

Anyway, decided to paint the 25's one each of the orange flavor, and red flavor...I saw reference to a green band on the nose, and one of the re-paints posted in that previous threads showed the green, so I added it, I think they look sharp.

Like I said, I am very impressed how well the de-chroming went. Now any time I find a chromed piece, I will take it right over to these guys, and have them work on them.

They are a bit bright right now, since I had to use the buffing wheel on them, but I will handle them, and they should tone down pretty quick...

Very happy to have stumbled on them, I only paid $30 each, plus another $30 to have them stripped...so I am into them right...

Pictured the markings, what there is. One fuze is marked bcn, the other bdk with a couple of other kanji marks. The headstamps are just a single navy anchor on each, and some markings on the primers, that's it, so I assume these are late war...

Hope you guys dig 'em!

Attachments

• DSC05481.JPG
    DSC05481.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC05482.JPG
    DSC05482.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC05483.JPG
    DSC05483.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC05484.JPG
    DSC05484.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC05485.JPG
    DSC05485.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC05486.JPG
    DSC05486.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC05487.JPG
    DSC05487.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC05488.JPG
    DSC05488.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC05489.JPG
    DSC05489.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC05490.JPG
    DSC05490.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC05491.JPG
    DSC05491.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 14
They have been described as 'deep maroon' or 'purple' from WW2 documents,so guessing it is just that colour aged.
Colour coding covered the different fuzes, fillings and proj.types,ie .Tracer,HE,HEI.

Bob

Hey, another question for you guys...anyone know what happened to Olaf's Japanese ammo site? That was a spectacular resource, and I can't seem to dig it up, and when I find a link, it won't open...that would be tragic if it disappeared...

Huh, thats weird, the last few times I tried I got a page not found message...

I bookmarked it in any case, does seem to work for me now. Thanks!