What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on two projectiles

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Not sure what I have here. The first projectile is 75.6mm in diameter. The ogive/adapter may be a repair part, looks like aluminum but is well made and matches the projectile very well. The projectile is pretty light, thin walled and I need a better light but it may be six or eight sided internally. There also appears to be a pin or at least protruding feature in the bottom center (inside of the projo), maybe 5mm in diameter and 4-5mm tall. No stamped markings that I've seen yet, but it hasn't been fully cleaned. The narrow opening of the adapter does not give me much room for a detailed view of the interior and I don't have time at the moment to see if I can tear it apart.

The second piece appears to be solid brass. it is 33mm in diameter, 89.6mm long. At first I thought is was a garage piece, but again, it is very well made, and the multiple grooves/steps near the base (rotating band-ish) are typical of some early UK rotating band designs. When I picked it up I was first thinking Nordenfelt, but not a size I'm familiar with. Anyone?

DSC_2364.jpg DSC_2357.jpg

US Chief of Ord. Report, 1902, Experimental Shrapnel No. 2.
Experimental Shrapnel No. 1 also has an aluminum fuze adaptor and there are additional experimental rounds shown with cast iron fuze adaptors but the old scans I have are not good.

Chief of Ord. Report, 1902, Exp. Shrapnel No. 2.jpg

Last edited: