What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on US 4"/50 Mark 6 Common

pzjgr

Hey Guys,

I just picked up a real nice, but paintless 4"/50cal Mark 6 Common projectile (inert and empty of course, no base fuze). Beautiful markings in the base, nice driving band, just perfect, but paintless (I will try to get some pics tonight).

I have found a few posts on these (not that its easy, since the search is worthless for terms like 4"/50!), but wanted to pick your brains anyway. If I read my references right, the proper color for this would be Slate Grey, with a half grey (lighter than slate) half green stripe to designate the mixed black powder/TNT filler above the forward bourrelet...

Also stencilling should be along the lines of:

4"/50 COMMON BP/TNT
MANUFACTURER
PROJ MK 6
BIF MK 10-4 WITH TRACER
FOR GUNS MKS 9 & 10

in white between driving band and bourrelet...

Does this all sound correct?

I want to get tis painted up correctly....then of course I need to find a case...woo hoo. There was one a few weeks ago on Gunbroker, but I didn't really bid on it figuring "whats the odds of finding a projectile ever?"

It was a good weekend at a local show I was set up at...picked up the 4" projo, a nice German 2cm FlaK 38 HE round, and a pair of bookends, each with (1) .30 carbine round, (3) .30-06 rounds, (2) 20mm rounds, (2) .60 cal rounds (!!), and a 37mm Mk III A2 round neatly screwed through the primer pocket on each. I removed the 4 .60 cal rounds, 1 nice 20mm, and the 2 37mm rounds from them, used the remaining rounds to make a single complete bookend which I later sold....

I will post some pics of the .60's in another post. There were 2 different bullet types, the headstamps were all SL 44 or 45....

Here are the pics....Also, apparently it is a Mk VII Mod I....

Attachments

• DSC01802.JPG
    DSC01802.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC01803.JPG
    DSC01803.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC01805.jpg
    DSC01805.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 41
I posted this a while back, I finally did get it re-painted...the only thing I really need to do is paint the green and grey band above the bourrelet to represent the mixed TNT/Black Powder filling...just haven't got around to it yet.

And of course find a case for it....

Oh, and a little gratuitous 60mm mortar action...

Attachments

• DSC03536.jpg
    DSC03536.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 42
Hello pzjgr,

Any day you can find a U.S. 4-inch projectile is a GREAT day. They are getting tough to find. Congratulations!

Best regards,

Randall