What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radio Jamming Carrier Projectile

ammocat

Ordnance approved
Russia and Bulgaria had a joint project to develop and produce a series of 152mm carrier projectiles that contained radio jammer that would be used to disrupt tactical communications. The Bulgarians had several models, VRS-540 Series, with the latest one being the VRS-546, which was also known as the Starshel 152. The Russian variant was known as the 3RB30.

I have been able to find very limited information on these projectiles and all the photographs I have found are cut-away showing the payload. I found one photo on Ordata showing a complete projectile. I am interested in the marking on the projectile, the lightning bolt with radio waves under it.

Does anyone have a technical reference that clearly identifies this marking and defines exactly what this marking means. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have attached the photo from Ordata to show the marking.

If anyone has clearly pictures or technical information on these projectiles I would also appreciate seeing them.

Attachments

• 152mm Radio Jamming.jpg
    152mm Radio Jamming.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 81
Thanks for showing the projo. Do you have access to a Jane's Ammunition Handbook? They usually have good photos of many of the new items, particularly the specialty stuff. It is a yearly publication, so different years have different photos.

Yes, I have access to Janes Online and that is where I got most of my information on these projectiles. They have a few photos of the radio jammer, but all the photos of the carrier projectile are cut-away and no markings are visible.

Other than the projectile I am researching, the photo from Ordata is the only reference I can find with this symbol. The symbol must be documented somewhere, and I would like to get a positive identification and definitions of this symbol.

Attached are the projectile and cartridge case I am currently researching. Both are inert, the cartridge case is empty and has no primer. The projectile base can be removed and it is empty. I was not able to verify projectile length at the time I saw it, but it is 152mm.

Attachments

• projmod.jpg
    projmod.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 73
  • cartcasemod.jpg
    cartcasemod.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 42
Here what the content looks like. The telescoping antennas are erecting up to at least 3m.

IMG_2764.jpg

Thanks for posting the photo. Up until recently, I was not even aware this type of projectile even existed.

122mm Starshel Jammer, front.jpg122mm Starshel jammer back.jpg152mm Starshel front.jpg122mm VHF Jammer back.jpg152mm Starshel back.jpg I am attaching some brochures on some of the Bulgarian artillery jamming projectiles. Hope you can get some information from them. Bob122mm VHF Jammer front.jpg

Bob,

Thanks for posting all the Jammer projo stuff. Always facinating to see high tech info on new projo stuff.

John