What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

railway gun projectile

leeski

hi all just acquired this great looking shell i have been told its a ww1 railway gun shell can anyone help with a bit more infomation the shell is 81cm long and the calibre is about 17cm on the side is stamped 664 M K1 17 and something that looks like a small crown with a cross on top of it.

many thanx lee

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 168
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 110
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 148
17cm projectile

Your projectile is a WWI German 17cm projectile (Haube) mfg by Krupp. The gun was used as a field gun, field gun mounted on a railway flatcar and also as a small railway gun. The separate loading shell case is 42 inches tall. Correct color would be yellow with a 2 inch black band at the shoulder and a black tip. I have one with white numbers also stencilled on the upper body. After the war, several guns and ammunition were brought back to USA for study. Most projectiles that turn up are pitted pretty badly, yours appears excellent condition. Nice find.

Yes, your projectile is in excellent condition. The 4 that I have seen in the states over the last 20 years have all been heavily pitted.

17cm projectile

Hi Lee, That is one rare shell indeed. The only one i've ever beside yours was nothing short of CACKED. the condition is superb. I adore the German shells and this is a rare find indeed, Hang on to that one. Dano

thanx for the info and comments guys it looks like ive done quite well on getting this one wonder what the chances would be of finding a case and a fuse for it

many thanx lee

Nice find

What a find Lee and looking at the previous posts you have done very nicely there on acquiring that shell.

170 mm Calibre that must weigh in at around 65 Kilo's ???

nice projectile, here some drawings.

Attachments

• 17 cm L4,7.jpg
    17 cm L4,7.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 118
  • fuze.jpg
    fuze.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 91
Leeski,

Finding a case for it isn't that hard, i have a double one in my collection. It will arive within a few weeks here. PM if interested.