What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Range targets

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Some of the targets ive seen on various ranges

Attachments

• Allan's 393.jpg
    Allan's 393.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Dinnaken.jpg
    Dinnaken.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 115
  • saladin 76mm gun.jpg
    saladin 76mm gun.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 125
Now this sounds good,i like threads like this!

i once heard that British rail sold off old loco`s in the seventies and eighties for target practice?
Can anyone confirm this??

cheers

waff

Ive personally never seen any old locos on the ranges ive been to ,i would have thought they were more suitable for anti terrorist training

:tinysmile_shy_t: hi guys
thers a old range near me where there was a circular rail track the trains used to pull the targets behind them ? sounds dangerous but its there
i can confirm they missed the targets quite a lot ????
armystuff.:tinysmile_shy_t:

Any more info on that please armystuff?

Spott,Im sure they where sold to the RAF?

I will have a dig about on the net later.

cheers

waff

target ranges

:tinysmile_shy_t:hi there :tinysmile_shy_t:
its difficult to find more info on this the military like to keep this sort of thing quiet otherwise you would get some nutter running around with a metal detector looking for shells ? :xd:
i came across this sight while looking for medevil trackways and roman roads on airial photographs.
this showed up shell pot marks on the ground this got me excited?
when i went to the sight i saw in the middle of the circle some brick buildings i presumed were munitions storage they had heavy steel doors and 24" thick walls behind the circular rail track is other buildings with slits in the walls looks like gun slits for pocking machine guns through the farmer ploughes the field at the back of the the rail track so you can imagine what his collection looks like ?
regards armystuff
PS next time im there i will take some pics :tinysmile_shy_t:

Carriages

There were a load of old "Network Southeast" coaching stock sold off to the Army for certain types of training in a local camp, these coaches have gradually disappeared over the years (presumably as scrap) with the last visible one being removed about 5 years ago.
The location had some 51 Miles of track within the fence for them to play on.
Some track remains today but I think all rolling stock has long gone !