What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rather ignorant question

I use passion-compassion for ID on WW1 fuzes quite often. I have seen fuzes called "instantaneous" and also "percussion". As ignorant as this question may be, are these the same? Dano

I think the term percussion refers more to the method of initiation and the term instantaneous refers to when the fuze is initiated.

According the RMCS Ammunition Handbook, there are three types of percussion fuzes, Direct Action, Percussion Graze, and Percussion Delay. Essentially Direct Action and Percussion Graze would function instantaneously and Percussion Delay would function after a short delay.

Hello Dano, just to expand it a little, there was /is? a plastic coated burning fuze that was termed `Fuze Instantaneous', for use in military booby traps. In UK service the stuff we had burned at 90 feet per second, so in effect it was burned instantaneously. The other type of burning fuze we had was named `Fuze Safety' ie safety fuze, such as used in the 36M grenade to give the delay to detonation. Burning time for the safety fuze I used to use was about 40 seconds per foot.