What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebounding bomb for Granatenwerfer 1918

In 1918 the Germans developed a rebounding projectile for the Granatenwerfer. It would hit the ground, then re-launch in the air, then explode. The cast body was covered with a steel sleeve, closed at the end with a firing chamber with black powder. The fuse was activated by striking the ground and this also set off the black powder charge which re-shot the projectile out of the sleeve acting as a mortar tube. The idea was to have the grenade explode in the air rather than burying itself in loose ground. I don't have figures on how many were actually made, but the number was probably low as this came out toward the end of the war.... Dano

By: Anthony Saunders

Attachments

• Picture 151.jpg
    Picture 151.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Hello Dano1917

It seems me there is some versions with this rebounding bomb: I have same datasheet than you, but in real item, i've never seen the smooth rebounding one, but always the usual trench grenade, with a special cap to make it rebounding.

Attachments

• 2me31w2.jpg
    2me31w2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 24142nm.jpg
    24142nm.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1161-2.jpg
    IMG_1161-2.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 78
  • pigeonrebondissanteti3.jpg
    pigeonrebondissanteti3.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 73
G'werfer

Thanks Pascal, Some killer pics there, what a spactacular Granatenwerfer display, Stunning. Thanks for showing...Dano

hello.

they are not mine (i've found the picture on the net).

As far I know about theses ammo :

The version 1 is shaped like a pear, 3 tails
The next version is cylindric, 3 tail.
The version 2 is cylindric (like the version between 1 and2) and has 4 tails
And, after the version 2, there is a smooth version with 4 tails.

About the reboundings one, obviously, it's like version 2 and version 2 smooth. We have an exercice one (I suppose), version 2, with a cap to make it rebounding, but i've never found a datasheet with this model (there are always more thins).

Attachments

• instruction.JPG
    instruction.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 42
dozen cousin

Hi Pascal, I no longer posess the picture, but used to (pissed off the owner) but there are over a dozen Granatenwerfer projectiles, including the signal and message rounds. When I did have the pic, I think I posted it on an earlier thread, but can't find it right now. You know it's true...Dano