What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recoved Fuze From D Day Practice Area

Weasel

Premium Member
Hi, This fuze was given to me years ago by a local farmer who had found it while out ploughing in a area used extensively by the US on the build up to D Day. I had always assumed it to be of US origin, Having looked at the List of British Fuzes on this site it would seem to be a British naval fuze. Has anyone got any idea which type of shell this would have been used on.?
Weasel.
fuze_0032.jpg

Used with 6in BL coast defence artillery ..from textbook of ammunition 1936

Untitled250.jpg

Essentially a Naval version of the 117 but having a shorter intrusion and used over a gaine. 5 marks. Introduced 1930 - Obsolete 1959
Filled by G.B Sept 1943
Greenwood + Batley, Abbeywood, Kent.
N - Naval

Any other markings

Regards

Tim. G.

Thanks, great pictures Spotter i must try and get a copy of that book, and thanks to TimG for the other data on this i have had this fuze for about 10 years nice to find out about it. Short intrusion refers to the length of the striker? there is a small steel point about standing out from the bottom of the body about 6mm. There are no other markings that i can see. Except a small "H" in a square under the 4 of 9-43. The landward fuze would make sense as the field it came from is about half a mile from the beach.
Weasel.