What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

refinishing mills grenades

Darrol

Premium Member
kenrick and sons.jpg ive just refinished and distressed this no36 and thought i would show it here .
i used some french polish and some powderd humbrol metalic paint mixed in and put thru an airbrush .it compares really well with original finishes that have a copper/brassy look to the shellac.
cheers .Darrol.:tinysmile_hmm_t:

thanks guys . it turned out better than i expected . :)
cheers. Darrol.

Darrol, can you tell me the name and type of french polish and the exact details of the powdered humbrol metalic paint you used, thanks!
Great job you did there!
Derek

Hi Derek and thanks.I used shellac flakes dissolved in meths then before aplication i mixed it some dry and powdered humbrol enamel (depending what finish you want from gold to copper) i found that theres so many shades with a metalic look to them .i have a 23мк2 with original gold finish .when its mixed give it a shake before putting thru airbrush/touch up gun and spray a thin coat . .let it dry for 5 mins and repeat untill you have a nice deep finish .then take it back a little with fine wire wool.before you start if the mills you are restoring has a shiny raw finish . .use a bit of gun blue to give it back a bit of age.Hope this helps .Cheers.Darrol.