What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Relic No 5 lives !

navyman

Hello,
I've just finished this painstaking job of restoring this No 5. I bought it some time ago when it had a slice cut away but the internals and lever pin etc were fused solid with rust and corrosion. The centre tube was badly split in two places. I tried filling the splits with chemical metal but it was not a success, (pic 1), so decided to try and dismantle the entire thing. It took ages with a fine needle and scalpel blade, plenty of WD40, to eventually release the parts. I cut the coroded tube filled the remaing holes with chemical metal and sealed it with button polish. The case and lever were treated with Kurust. Remains of old pin drilled out, carefully released the spring and striker, and more cleaning. The only parts replaced were the det set, and pin, (repro's). All the rest are original and it works again.

Attachments

• 1 fill 1a.jpg
    1 fill 1a.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 5 cont 3a.jpg
    5 cont 3a.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Work on lever (2).jpg
    Work on lever (2).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Broken no 5 7a.jpg
    Broken no 5 7a.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Broken no 5 8a.jpg
    Broken no 5 8a.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 90
an excellent job. not many would attempt to resore an old relic like this one.
do you have a base plug for it?
cheers, paul.

Hello Paul,
Thank you for your kind comments.
I'm trying to find a correct base plug but no success so far. I'd be gratefull if you can let me know where I may find one, it would finish the job nicely. The grenade is one of the old ones where the pin goes through the lever rather than the later ones where the pin rests over the lever. Any advice welcolme.
All best,
Guy.

Great Job Guy,

pm me if you want a plug, have a few brass ones from 1916 spare.

Well done.

Andy

Hello Andy,
Thanks for the offer, but Snufkin has put one in the post for me, my goodness you chaps are efficient! I will keep your offer in mind in case I need another at a later time.
All best,
Guy.